Author Topic: when a fire occurs  (Read 964 times)

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
when a fire occurs
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »
If an engine fire occurs and you cut off the gas and oil to that engine, how come the fire stays as big as before and doesn't stop?
Plus, i highly doubt that if you're going 200 - 250mph through the air the fire stays just as big, and doesn't get smaller or disappear.

Any thoughts? If this should stop the fire but the game doesnt have that, im going to wishlist to wish for that feature.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
Re: when a fire occurs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:30 PM »
Been requested lots of times already. The fires we have in the game come from the fuel tank, not the engine, so we can't put them out. :(
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »
Been requested lots of times already. The fires we have in the game come from the fuel tank, not the engine, so we can't put them out. :(
Dame that sucks...
By the way how come the plane suddenly disappears if a fire occurs?

-FYB

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
You mean after it's been burning a while? The plane explodes. If you mean it disapears right as it catches fire, your graphics are in trouble...
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »

A leaking fuel tank that is long empty will not only catch on fire but will burn until somthing falls off. 

Wish for that to get fixed.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:17:39 AM »

zeeks had co2 systems
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:35:29 AM »
Ummm, I just take the fire as a visual cue that I've been shot down and it's time to bail out. :uhoh
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
A leaking fuel tank that is long empty will not only catch on fire but will burn until somthing falls off. 

Wish for that to get fixed.

wrongway
will do.

-FYB

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »
1. An empty fuel tank not only burns, it usually explodes. Its full of fuel vapor. This is the published cause of the Flight 800 crash in New York. (Some believe it was shot down)

2. There is plenty of stuff on the exterior of a reciprocating engine that will burn given half a chance. Back when I flew radials in the real world we got regular backfire fires when starting in the winter. We always tried to have a guy with a fire bottle on standby to put it out if the engine A. Started and didn't blow the fire out or B. The engine didn't start and the fire kept on burning. More than once I had to exit the cockpit, fire bottle in hand to fight a fire on start.

3. The throttle only closes fuel at the engine itself, not at the firewall. The fuel pump is still turning and pumping fuel. Same with the Oil. There is no firewall shutoff in game for anything that I know of.

4. A fuel driven fire will quickly ignite the aluminum. Once the aluminum is burning, its not going to stop easily.

A fire on board an aircraft is extremely dire. If it is not contained in a structure designed to withstand extreme temperature (like inside the engine or a specially constructed fire proof box) it will quickly destroy an airplane. Swiss Air 111 was brought down by a single faulty wire in an entertainment system igniting insulation in just a few minutes. It was 21 minutes from the crew smelling an odor until the aircraft crashed. It is believed the captain died fighting the fire (He was dead prior to impact).

A fire in flight in a WWII era aircraft is not likely to result in a successful landing.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »
1. An empty fuel tank not only burns, it usually explodes. Its full of fuel vapor. This is the published cause of the Flight 800 crash in New York. (Some believe it was shot down)

Sure it will explode, but it won't burn.  IE: A 50 foot flame trailing you.  What about an empty fuel tank with a hole or two in it?

My main issue here is the fuel tank continues to leak, and subsequently catch fire, long after it is empty.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »

Sure it will explode, but it won't burn.  IE: A 50 foot flame trailing you.  What about an empty fuel tank with a hole or two in it?

My main issue here is the fuel tank continues to leak, and subsequently catch fire, long after it is empty.

wrongway
I put this in the in the wishlist and they seem to hating it.

I see why, i requested the wrong thing.

-FYB
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:39:12 PM by FYB »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »

wrongway
IT could be fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid burning. i think the fires aren't usually in the engine compartment, but rather in the wing root/fuselage area.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »
Ugh.  A fire burning while you're going over 200 mph ain't your average rinky-dink campfire.  It's a whoopeeed blowtorch next to your gas tanks, control wires, and the squishy thing in your cockpit (that'd be your ass, bob.).

So- make the fire *do* something, not just serve as a pretty trail behind the now shiny and rumbly bottle rocket.
"You rebel scum"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Ugh.  A fire burning while you're going over 200 mph ain't your average rinky-dink campfire.  It's a whoopeeed blowtorch next to your gas tanks, control wires, and the squishy thing in your cockpit (that'd be your ass, bob.).

So- make the fire *do* something, not just serve as a pretty trail behind the now shiny and rumbly bottle rocket.

the fire DOES do something. it weakens the airframe, and eventually, someting very very important breaks off.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »

They should incorporate the red outs imo.