Author Topic: The secret weapons quiz!!!!  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: The secret weapons quiz!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
126 262 jets were destroyed by P51s another 21 by P47s and 0 by the venerable P38.
12 Arados were destroyed by P51s and 5 163s.
Eight P51 pilots were double jet scorers.

Do not know that ANY 51s were lost to 262s.

EDIT: Thats checking the records of just three US AFs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:45:16 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
Heinz Bar, probably the best Me262 Experten, claimed 18 daylight victories whilst flying the Me262, of which 16 were confirmed. Of those 18 claimed, only 2 were B-24's and 3 were B-26's. All the rest were fighters, 5 x P-51's and 8 x P-47's.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
F5F

(Image removed from quote.)

Vought V-173 "Flying Pancake" aka F5U

The image is the Grumman XF5F, grand dad to the F7F Tigercat. F means fighter, 5 means fifth design by the manufacturer, F mean Grumman. F5U, the U means Vought. XF5U-1 was the designation.

Edited to add photo...

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:11:32 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
The image is the Grumman XF5F, grand dad to the F7F Tigercat. F means fighter, 5 means fifth design by the manufacturer, F mean Grumman. F5U, the U means Vought. XF5U-1 was the designation.

Edited to add photo...
(Image removed from quote.)

My regards,

Widewing

So... just how well did that thing work? lol.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
So... just how well did that thing work? lol.

The V-173 concept prototype was a marvel. It had a landing speed of around 30 mph, was virtually impossible to stall or spin. It was very fast for its low power (two 80 hp engines). The 2,700 hp XF5U-1 offered good performance on paper, but nothing better than was already in the fleet in 1945. Where it was expected to excel was in maneuverability. Engineers at Vought claimed that it would easily turn inside a Zero. They may not have been overstating it either. The problem was that the program was delayed 2 years while the complicated props and reduction gear was developed. Even though the airframe was ready in 1945, the aircraft wasn't ready to begin tethered ground tests (it would take off at 40 mph) until late 1947. When the time came to ship it to Muroc Field (now Edwards AFB)for flight testing, it was already obsolete. Jet's were entering service and the XF5U-1 was no longer needed or wanted. The program was canceled and it was scrapped before it could make its first untethered flight. I read somewhere that the airframe failure loading was estimated at 13g. Not surprising when one considers the shape and construction.

Projected performance:

Speed: 425 mph @ 21,500 feet and 366 mph at sea level.
Climb: About 3,600 fpm at max takeoff weight, approximately 4,200 fpm in "interceptor configuration".
Range: 710 miles
Landing speed: 40 mph
Takeoff run: 200 feet
Power on stall: 33 mph
Armament: 4 x 20mm, 2,000 lb of bombs.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
Question: What was the Full Name of the only U.S. aircraft During WW2 to feature a Pusher engine powerplant?

There was more than one.

the Curtiss XP-55 Ascender (Ass-ender was the derogatory name applied) was one, but there were two other US fighter prototypes flying with "pusher" engine installations. Doesn't ring a bell?

The Vultee XP-54 Swoose Goose and the Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »
They have a Curtiss XP-55 Ascender at the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, MI.  Saw last year when I went up for the AH meet there. 
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."