Author Topic: CAF, Collings Foundation, Real Warbirds need your help from the Idiotic TSA  (Read 384 times)

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
Guys,

I don't know how many of you are involved in real aviation but, the idiots at the TSA are forwarding new regulations that will seriously hamper vintage aviation in the future.

They are proposing new rules to where passengers on PRIVATE aircraft over 12.500lbs need to comply with their b.s. rules of fingerprinting, "terrorist" watch lists and whatever other made up "war on terror" crap they can pull.

What this means to organizations like CAF and the Collings foundation is it will seriously undermine their ability to carry passengers. Or simply put, when the Collings foundation comes to your airport with their B-17,25 or 24 and you want to take a ride as a paying customer they will need to go through an entire vetting process.

The EAA is also dead set against this bureaucratic rubbish and you can read about it further here: http://www.eaa.org/govt/tsa.asp#Comment   

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
That's a load of crap. What can we do to help put an end to it?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
It won't pass.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
     That ruling would also effect all business aircraft above a Beech Kingair 200 turboprop.
Which means virtually all big business flight departments.  Those folks will NOT be happy
and they do some serious contributing to political warchests.

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
Sick Bastages !
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
It won't pass.   

Don't be so sure.  We have been working on this issue and another for about six months.  The level of nonsense is staggering.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Never rule out how stupid anything ran by the government can be. They have never been known for their intelligence or efficient behavior.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
It won't pass.   

Nobody will vote on this, they can do it by fiat.  This is a proposed rule; a Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking.  It's administrative law.  They think up a rule, have a comment period, mull it over while jumping through a few bureaucratic hoops.  If they (the TSA) still want it after the dust settles, it is published in the Federal Register and becomes law.  The only way to fight it is to participate in the comment process.  You can do it directly by looking up the docket number.  Or go to this handy AOPA link at http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/gasecurity/index.html which outlines the issue and will take you to the proper form to comment. 

Everybody who has a stake in this needs to raise hell.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:58:11 AM by Casca »
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Nobody will vote on this, they can do it by fiat.  This is a proposed rule; a Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking.  It's administrative law.  They think up a rule, have a comment period, mull it over while jumping through a few bureaucratic hoops.  If they (the TSA) still want it after the dust settles, it is published in the Federal Register and becomes law.  The only way to fight it is to participate in the comment process.  You can do it directly by looking up the docket number.  Or go to this handy AOPA link at http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/gasecurity/index.html which outlines the issue and will take you to the proper form to comment. 

Everybody who has a stake in this needs to raise hell.

Thanks for the link. Im in, and spamming the e-mail inboxes of all my pilot buddies.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
Found this at a user group.  Fairly concise summation.  Don't want to sound like Chicken Little but the ONLY way to short circuit this is to participate in the comments process, raise hell with your representatives or call in a favor if you are a big campaign contributor.

Gentlemen:

I don’t know if you are aware of the Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has posted in the Federal Register – it is called the Large Aircraft Security Program (LASP). This rule will significantly affect ALL business and corporate aviation operators operating airplanes that weigh more than 12,500 lbs.

Is this only the beginning? Probably. My guess is that ALL airplanes (King Airs, Cheyennes, and even small Cessnas) will be next.

The LASP will significantly restrict the utility of your airplane. Below are some issues of which you should be aware.

This rule will:

1) Restrict items that you will be allowed to take on board your OWN airplane
a. i.e,: No firearms (Hunting trips?), No liquids over 3 ounces (Do you carry toothpaste or shampoo or wine on board?), No knives (Do you carry a survival kit? Do you ever enjoy meal catering that needs forks and knives? Carry a pocket knife?), Many tools will be restricted (Do employees take tools to any of your construction or work sites?).

2) You and your passengers will need to be screened prior to each and every flight to make sure that none of you are terrorists.
a. You will not be able to vet any of these people yourself, and this includes you, your wife, your children, your parents, any guests you invite, your employees, your customers, etc.

3) You will need to ask for permission from the Federal Government (DHS) prior to each and every flight.
a. They have no time limit on when (after you request permission) you might receive such permission.
i. You will quite possibly face significant delays while the government gets around to granting you permission to fly.

4) You will sometimes need to make room for a DHS Air Marshal if they decide that, for this flight, they might want to send one along.
a. No room? Too bad, you will need to bump one of your passengers.
b. And, oh, by the way, guess who gets to pay for the Air Marshal, and his expenses associated with the trip? You.

5) Your pilots will need to submit to criminal background checks including fingerprinting.
a. If you are a pilot, you will need to submit to this.
b. Guess who will have to make sure that has been done - you.
c. There will, of course, be significant fines if you don’t make sure this is done.

6) You will have to appoint a Director of Security and this lucky person will have to create a security manual and this manual will need to be approved by the DHS.
a. Guess who gets to pay for that? You.

7) You could be forced to submit to a third party, DHS-approved audit of your airplane operation on a semi-annual basis
a. Guess who gets to pay for that audit? You.

And, yes, there is way more to this than listed above.

Please send this email to as many private airplane operators or owners as you can. The time to mobilize against this ridiculousness is now, as the comment period, as specified in the NPRM, closes 27 Feb 2009.

For more information, please follow the following link:

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/security/programs/lasp/
I'm Casca and I approved this message.