Author Topic: AH2 in a different folder than Program Files  (Read 848 times)

Offline stran

• Copper Member
AH2 in a different folder than Program Files
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
i read in one of the install instructions:
***SPECIAL INSTALL NOTE***
If AHII is not installed on your C: drive, you will have to open the HellsGate.mis file with Notepad or another text editor.
Wherever you see C: at the begining of a text line, change it to your correct drive and resave. 
Only takes a couple minutes if needed.

here the quick fix:
In notepad under the Edit Menu there is the Replace command(also Ctrl+H)
i think the rest is self explanatory.
Squash

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: AH2 in a different folder than Program Files
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't know that.  That'll save a lot of time for people that need to edit the missions.  :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »
I wonder why HTC didn't use relative paths in the .mis files?  It would make things a lot easier..

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
On that topic soda... think back if you will about our disscussion about the install files I made.

Is this the registry entry you where talking about.   "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HiTech Creations\Aces High II"

If so then thats what I can add to the install files that will already know where to put things.

Will probablly need another guinie pig.  :D

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
On that topic soda... think back if you will about our disscussion about the install files I made.

Is this the registry entry you where talking about.   "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HiTech Creations\Aces High II"

If so then that's what I can add to the install files that will already know where to put things.

Will probably need another guinie pig.  :D

midi

Looks like that's the one,  it has both the version and path listed.   Knowing the path would allow the install program to place the files in the right spot assuming HTC doesn't change the subdirectory where they are stored later down the road. 

However there is still one little obstacle to overcome, if people setup .wav files for the mission.  The .mis file would still refer to the wrong path even though the install program puts them in the right place using the registry.  The only way around this would be for the install program to edit the mission file(.mis) to put in the right path, which would be kind of akward for an install program needing to do.   

The mission editor does allow you to build the .mis into a .res file.  I think when it's built into a .res file it uses a relative path to find the .wav files, so you do not need to edit anything.  If that is the case the install program would work as long as people deployed their mission's using the .res file instead of the source file (.mis).  The install program would not have to modify anything and only would need to worry about putting the files in the right place using the registry entry.

anyways just a thought...

:salute