Author Topic: Tried another new beer  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Tried another new beer
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
Your next one will be cloudy, also.

Its the wheat used in the mash (lends itself to cloudiness) and the very nature of the beer you bought.  Yeast used to make wheat beer exhibits less flocculation (settling) , therefore stays in suspension more than a regular ale yeast ( DunkleWeisse is an ale and not a Lager).  

The hops contribute absolutely nothing to the body of the beer.  They only add bitterness, aroma, taste.  Although wheat beers are usually lightly hopped  as a rule, this is not why it has less body.

The lack of body is because it is a wheat beer and therefor there is (by traditional German standards) about 50-60% wheat malt in the grain bill.  This will give you less body resulting in a more refreshing, and not heavy (notice I didn't say light) beer.  

The color of a beer does not automatically dictate the body, mouthfeel, or bitterness.  It just means that the brewer used darker malts in the mash.   Most common are the highly kilned malts such as Munich or Vienna-type high-kilned barley malts. Some dark wheat malts may be used. Dark roasted malts are rarely used and then only in very small concentrations. Hops provide a mild bitterness only.

Ahhhh! okay. Thanks

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 03:29:03 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aqm9SLcVq8

Some yanks reviewing it^

They've got no idea what they're talking about.

They call it "Costriker" and "Costriber" and 'Schw-eye-ts' beer. *forehead slap*

It's more like 'Koe - strit - tser' and it's definitely something you would get a pint of if it was on tap at a bar you were at.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »
This a joke?

No, it really is not. Tried to find some last night, but the local store had not got any yet.
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
Do any Stateside Folks remember the infamous, " Billy Beer " ?  Or, how about the white can with the black lettering
that spelled, " BEER " ?

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »
My dad still has a 6 pack of Billy Beer.  It's just decorative though, as I have heard that stuff wasn't even drinkable when it was freshly brewed.  I've only seen those generic BEER cans in old movies and whatnot.  I've had some bad beers in my day (which was what pushed me to stop drinking cheapass beers actually)  but at my most highschool broke I would never have cracked a plain black and white BEER.  That's just too much in my book.  Pretty funny though.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Now I'm biased because this is my local brew. Shepherd Neame is the oldest brewery in England. Master Brew is their standard ale - more of a session beer!

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/spitfire_ale.htm

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »

good beer.. the pale and red ale is good too

so it the private reserve

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:35:02 PM by TheZohan »

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 04:59:09 AM »
Ooooooooooh, Honey Hefeweizen? Yum.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »
Ooooooooooh, Honey Hefeweizen? Yum.

Gotta taste it first. 

A lot of beers have honey in the name, but that's about it.  Unless added after the primary ferment, it usually ferments out fairly completely, to include the taste. 

I made two Belgian witbiers last spring.  Both with honey.  One had it in the primary ferment and the other in the secondary.

That was the only difference between batches, but they tasted like two different beers.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.