Author Topic: New AH video: Soviet Tragedy  (Read 637 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New AH video: Soviet Tragedy
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
YouTube kinda screwed up the quality, but if you have the "HQ" button available during playback it helps a lot.

If there's another place to host it I might try them as well, since it looks better off my HD than off youtube. I'm not sure if I trust veoh.com (they steal youtube links and embed them as their own?)

This one's been waiting for a while. This is the one I said would utilize camera movements from the AH film viewer. Took a while to learn the camera angles. Then took a while to get the footage without any stutters from FRAPs (you might see a couple still), and then it took a while to have any free time whatsoever to edit it together ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnI2q_eRLo

All comments welcome!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: New AH video: Soviet Tragedy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
I can host the file for you, though to be realistic, I'm not sure if I'll get a browser/download section available for my site any time soon.  I've put it off for quite a while and my interest/time/cancelled AH account all play factors in me finishing the site.  Anyways, I can at least give you a solid download link.

Back to the movie...If your goal was to learn the camera shots and to record with fraps at a good quality, then I'd say mission accomplished.  Otherwise, 2 minutes for a fairly uneventful crash landing is a bit much :D

Did you ever watch the AH camera shots tutorial I did? http://derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
I think I saw that one, yes. I saw several and downloaded one that helped. Might have been yours.

The idea was generally to match the building tone and pace of the music to end with the crash/ditch at the end. Nothing really super-thrilling, but I was going for "dramatic" hehehe

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:24:08 AM »
I spent some time re-exporting it in high-def (not so easy, it was fighting me and I don't know why!).

New link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-0BdcVFls

Still processing. Should have "Watch in HD" link shortly. Once it's up and running I'll delete the original.

EDIT: Low-def deleted, use the hi-def link. Looks good even for youtube.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:00:20 AM by Krusty »

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Nice job Krusty, choice of music (for me) fit in with what you were trying to convey.

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
Would you rather it were shorter ? My original idea was based just around that final crescendo of music as the plane touches down and comes to a stop in front of the camera. The rest of it (leading up to that) sort of blossomed out of that original idea and I built up to it.
Under the original idea it'd have been a lot shorter (about 30 seconds?).

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
Nope, think it just about the right length. The repeating views of the bird flying over the crest of the hill was a nice touch as well.

Might have included a segment on how it got damaged, but that didnt take anything away from the film at all.

Wurzel

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
Stylistically speaking I was thinking of a 10 second black lead-in with war sounds (AAA, bombs, a loud engine damage-hit sound) and then fading in to where it started here.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
That'd work nicely, audible hints at the damage cause, then into the aftermath - cool idea.

Wurzel

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
Nice video, good choice for music....

:aok

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
Nice camera work.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
Camera work was quite interesting. I liked it. But the subject matter....... I have an engine out and I'm going to crash land? and not even in a unique  way. I liked what you did, but what you worked with was.........boring, to be blunt.

But you have the concepts to do a much more imaginative film.

sorry, i don't want to discourage you because as I said you show promise.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
I appreciate the input. I figured it might not be the most interesting, but after X months trying to get the idea out I figured "bah! get the thing done and move on to something better!" heheh