Author Topic: Looking for work in the Austin, TX area...  (Read 955 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Re: Looking for work in the Austin, TX area...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 11:17:15 AM »
But earlier you said:They don't sound like very useful "contacts".

Pride for living in a city, I don't get it. Is that like pride in your local pro sports team (of which nearly none of the players are actually from there), or like pride in your local music scene (of which nearly none of the local artists are from there)?

Anywhere but a major city or metropolitan area. I honestly don't understand why people chose or decide to live in these places.

Why are you sharp-shooting this guy on his choice of places to live?  I've got a kid like you, he's a real pain in the bellybutton sometimes ~ has something smart-ass to say about every little thing, and none of it has anything to do with the original content. 

And who gives a flip if you don't understand why people choose to live in those places? *rolls eyes*
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
My #1 all-time favorite job-search site is www.indeed.com.  It combines announcements from nearly all of the public & private announcement lists, government lists & other search site lists. :) Also, if you use the advanced search option it allows you to remove words from the search (such as nurse, technician, physician, etc).

It sure is beautiful in Austin. :) I always hear nice things about it.
I use Indeed.com and so do headhunters.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
Started homes in Austin run in the price range of 150k. You can still get a nice home at 200k within biking distance to down town. At 600k you have endless possibilities.

This is a fast search i did for homes in and around Austin..

http://actris.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=468118884&s=AUS&t=AUS

It is a buyers market but unlike other areas in the country prices are steady. Areas like 10n and 10s just south of downtown in the price range of 120k to 200k haft the inventory is under contract.

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
I lived in Austin From '73 to early '78, and I loved it then.  Awesome music scene, the University of Texas(lots of fun in a college town).  The Edwards plateau and hill country, with all the lakes and streams and caves just to the east.  Lots of good bass fishing in the Colorado River (different from the Grand Canyon one)  Heck,  San Antonio, the Gulf of Mexico, Padre Island just to the south, and drive a few more hours south and Mexico!  Over to the east a days drive, Louisiana and New Orleans, another great town for music.

'Course I don't miss the water moccasins, chiggers, hailstones that'll knock you out, and dent the crap out of your car, or Tornadoes. ;)
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the link, Texasmom.

I have heard very good things about Austin and Texas was nice when I visited for the 2001 AH con.  I will be blunt though, it won't be as pretty as Marin County or San Francisco, but very few suburban and urban areas are.  I understand Austin is far above most places and my co-worker who grew up there raves about it, but with the qualification I listed above.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
Karnak,  here is a link to my company's job postings

http://www.megapath.com/about/careers/index.cfm?tab3

we have offices in Austin, Costa Mesa, Pleasanton, Seattle, and Wallingford.  Not sure where all those jobs are at though or how current that listing might be

Ken

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »
Thanks, Airscrew.   Much appriciated.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
Austin is a nice town Karnak, it's college town and much more liberal than the rest of Texas. So you won't get too much of a culture shock as you would moving to say East Texas. You'll like the price of living in Texas compared to California.
Good luck.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
The top cities that are relatively unaffected by "you know who" are all in Texas. Some cities are half the national rate of unemployment. So Texas is a good place to be looking.

I wish you all the luck Karnak. Our business here at my shop has really picked up the last week.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 06:33:26 PM »
. . .or like pride in your local music scene (of which nearly none of the local artists are from there)?

Austin is a music metropolis. Lot of good Texas bands migrate through there.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline v1st

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
I was thinking about moving to Round Rock just outside of Austin just waiting for my position to open.  Coca Cola is always looking for people out there check this site out cokecce.com.  If you see anyhting you like I can try to pull a few strings.
v1st

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »
I was thinking about moving to Round Rock just outside of Austin just waiting for my position to open.  Coca Cola is always looking for people out there check this site out cokecce.com.  If you see anyhting you like I can try to pull a few strings.
v1st

Only job Coke has available in Austin ATM is a route driver. 

Was looking yesterday.  :)  I don't have a commercial drovers license.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »
Karnak,
  I've lived here for 25 years and its a pretty good place. If i can do anything to help let me know. I do have a place to stay if you need it, if you dont mind some big dogs.
   Not sure what you want to do. I have lots of friends in the fire dept with side jobs businesses. One guy has several warehouses he buys and sells used pc parts. Fry's electronics is usually hiring. Fire Dept will be hiring soon.
  larry

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
Well, I'd like to live in a place where I can actually hope to buy a house someday.   ;)

Yep, but mine here haven't been any better and the costs are too high.  The economy is really hurting right now.

4 bedroom houses usually run at $150,000 here give or take  :D  But of course I'm in West TN.  Good luck to ya Karnak!  Hope you are able to find what you're looking for, sir.  I wish I could offer help but everyone I know generally come from here or the Mid-South general area

:salute

#S#

Banshee7
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||