Author Topic: Italian Ju87D Stuka  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
Re: Italian Ju87D Stuka
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 07:59:30 AM »
Salute Geophro,

I gotta tell ya, I really like this skin.  A great choice and your color blending looks fantastic.  I'm not sure how you do your chipping (as yours seem to be a bit uniform (please don't think that's a dig.)  One of the things I do with my chipping is to select all of the panel lines.  I expand 2 pixels from center.  With an airbrush tool set to 100% and a faux finish brush, quickly place chipping in no pattern.  Do this on 3 different layers.  Once all 3 layers are done, have the top layer at 40% (these are your hard edged chips) next lower layer at 20% and finally the last around 8%.  YMMV.  By varying different opacity layers it will give you a more natural blend to your chipping, rather than the hard edges on all of yours.

Again, I really do like your skin and will fly it often sir.  Thanks for doing it.  :aok

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
ReDhAwK,
  Those chips were one of the things bothering me.  I've seen other people's work where the chips look great, and mine looked too uniform.  I'll try redoing those layers like that and see how it turns out.  Thank you for the suggestion.
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »
Salute Geophro,

I gotta tell ya, I really like this skin.  A great choice and your color blending looks fantastic.  I'm not sure how you do your chipping (as yours seem to be a bit uniform (please don't think that's a dig.)  One of the things I do with my chipping is to select all of the panel lines.  I expand 2 pixels from center.  With an airbrush tool set to 100% and a faux finish brush, quickly place chipping in no pattern.  Do this on 3 different layers.  Once all 3 layers are done, have the top layer at 40% (these are your hard edged chips) next lower layer at 20% and finally the last around 8%.  YMMV.  By varying different opacity layers it will give you a more natural blend to your chipping, rather than the hard edges on all of yours.

Again, I really do like your skin and will fly it often sir.  Thanks for doing it.  :aok

ReDhAwK

Ya know that's an interesting way of doing it.  I think I will try that next time.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:48 AM »
I hope it works out well for you gents.  Only other offering I really could put forward on it Geophro is to place the random chipping in the areas it would happen.  What I mean by that is that an access hatch would not have chipping all the way around it.  It would have it around the base of the hinges, closing latch, the areas that one would slap down on to help snug it closed, ect.  That is why your eyes are fighting you on it.  Your brain knows something looks amiss on it.  Look at a couple of period photos of any aircraft with those type of access hatches.  The things you are looking for will jump right out at'cha.

Hope that helps.  I look forward to seeing it.

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
Well, I've worked on smoothing out the paint chips for a couple of months now and have come to the realization that I have reached the limits of my ability.  I tried several different methods, my nothing gave me results that I liked.  So, I took the half-assed route out and just turned the chip details way down.  From 20' it looks fine.  This is an example, what do you guys think about this?

Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.