Author Topic: 2nd throttle quadrant  (Read 558 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
2nd throttle quadrant
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
I am thinking about buying a 2nd throttle quadrant to control my gear, flaps, and the tail hook with levers.

Will The game be able to support it?

BTW, I currently have an X52
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: 2nd throttle quadrant
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:03:08 AM »
Yes, the game will support it. However, if they are analog inputs (such as a slider) it probably won't work with flaps, gear, or your tailhook.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
However, if they are analog inputs (such as a slider) it probably won't work with flaps, gear, or your tailhook.

So there is absolutely no way to make it work?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:08:27 PM »
Machfly, if Saitek's programming software supports it (it probably will) then you should be able to program it to make it work, but it's not likely going to work without running the software in the background, as there is no direct translation from within AH itself for an axis to work for gear, flaps, or tailhook (but then again the controller may not report them as axes anyway).

Sorry, we just don't have enough experience with that specific unit to be 100% certain.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
Sorry, we just don't have enough experience with that specific unit to be 100% certain.

no problem, i did not think many people would have the experience

thanks for the replies though
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
If you do end up buying that input-device and manage to get it working with Aces High. Please tell us how you did it in the Hardware and Software forum.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »
Technically it's a throttle, the CH throttle quadrant has 6 levers, the one you posted only 3.

The commands you listed are only really usable as button inputs. Even if you turn a throttle axis into a banded slider using CH software (and this is possible from what I've heard), you have to slide the lever down to "press the button" in the lower band, slide it back up to stop pressing that key.

So flaps would continue to try to drop until full, unless you pushed it into the "band that pressed the flap-drop key" and then immediately pulled it back to "neutral" again.

Gear would toggle nonstop if left in the "gear down" band, because there's no gear-up/gear-down difference, they are both triggered with the same key.

So yes technically you can do something like that with the software, but realistically you can't do it for anything other than trim up/down, flaps up/down, or something with separate keypresses that toggle it. And in the examples I just listed, trim already maps to an axis anyways. I can't see many reasons to pursue this path.

There are a couple of other things that are very handy, however. Zoom FOV I have mapped to my throttle on my stick, because I no longer use it for "throttle" -- so I toggle zoom and can precisely specify the level of zoom I want by sliding my thumb up or down.

I experimented with head up/down, left/right, back/forth, but decided to forgoe these in lieu of normal 2- and 4-engine throttle setups with trim. You could try that. In that way you could head up for more lead instantly, or slide head sideways to "look under the nose" in high-deflection shots, etc.

There're other features in-game that may (or may not) benefit from being mapped to an axis.