Author Topic: Instrument Panels too dark  (Read 689 times)

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
Instrument Panels too dark
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
Greetings:
My instrument panels are too dark for me to read the guages, & I mean All the guages.   I tried adjusting the gamma, but when I make the instrument panels lighter, the whole screen turns lighter, the sky, hangars, planes, etc   :uhoh   zooming
doesn't help as the necessary gauges are then blocked by the nearness of the zoom.

Does any1 have the answer as to HOW to fix this problem so that the gauges & the instrument panels alone are lighter thusly more visible?  Thx for ur help.
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Instrument Panels too dark
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
what texture size are you running the game in? What kind of graphics card are you using? I know before I had my "mega computer" the gauges where tough to make out sometimes. With the box I have now they are all very clear and easy to read.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:00:03 PM »
Try turning up your contrast.

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
Gentlemen  :)
Thx ever so much for ur kind & prompt assistance, ur help is much appreciated, to
answer The Fugitive, my texture size was 1024X768, however I recently changed it to
800X600, my graphics card is ATI Radeon Graphics HD.

Belial,  thx to ur suggestion I turned up my contrast & improved my instrument panels immediately,  lowering my texture size to 800X600, really sharpened the overall gauge viewing.   :aok   :salute

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:15:45 AM »
Gentlemen  :)
Thx ever so much for ur kind & prompt assistance, ur help is much appreciated, to
answer The Fugitive, my texture size was 1024X768, however I recently changed it to
800X600, my graphics card is ATI Radeon Graphics HD.

Belial,  thx to ur suggestion I turned up my contrast & improved my instrument panels immediately,  lowering my texture size to 800X600, really sharpened the overall gauge viewing.   :aok   :salute

You misunderstand Texture Size vs. monitor resolution.

To change texture size launch AcesHigh and instead of clicking the button to go Online and fly, click the one that says VIDEO.

In there you can pick 4 diff texture sizes.  128, 256, 512, and 1024.  The higher the texture size, the better (more powerful) your computer  needs to be to use it.  IF your computer can handle the 1024 textures there is a High Resolution texture you can download that makes everything look even better.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:05:42 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
Ingame,open clipboard,goto graphic details,there's a slider labled Alpha!

this will control your contrast ingame!

:salute

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »
WMLute :
Thx much for correcting me, I do run on 1024 texture & my PC easily handles the tex-
tures, per ur advice I did download the High Resolution textures, & noticed a big difference in reading my instrument panel, I'm even able to read the dials with ease!

morfriend, ty 4 ur advice, however, the ingame contrast effects everything & was done previously.   :salute

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
aren't the hi res textures less usefull if you have your monitor set with a resolution of less than 1280*1024?

thats my monitors native resolution and i notice on the older games i play that if i dont lower the resolution its so blurry and small i cant see crap it really makes diablo 1 2 look like crap.

I dunno im just curions but if you were to use a tv as a monitor   say a 52 inch 1080p hi def    what kind of resolution would you set from your desktop?

flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
aren't the hi res textures less usefull if you have your monitor set with a resolution of less than 1280*1024?

thats my monitors native resolution and i notice on the older games i play that if i dont lower the resolution its so blurry and small i cant see crap it really makes diablo 1 2 look like crap.

I dunno im just curions but if you were to use a tv as a monitor   say a 52 inch 1080p hi def    what kind of resolution would you set from your desktop?

You're confused.  Your screen resolution has nothing to do with the skin resolutions.

If you're running an LCD monitor your screen resolution should be set to the manufacturers recommended resolution (native resolution) for your monitor.  If it's not it will likely be blurrier than it would at it's native resolution.

Skin resolution has to do with how big the "canvas" is that the skinners have to work on.  a 1024x1024 pixel canvase allows for four times as many pixels as a 512x512 canvas which in turn allows for greater detail in the skin, even though both are compressed to the planes actual in-game size while in use.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.