Author Topic: Titanium M3s  (Read 1345 times)

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
Re: Titanium M3s
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
as a frequent driver of said M3s, i can assure you they're not titanium. simple .50 mgs will easily kill one.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
What sucks is shells passing thru the back compartment for no effect.  A real trunk full of bodies would make for a big mess.  Cargo ought to be part of the damage model.

You kidding me?
I've had rounds pass through the drivers side door and seen it "keep on trucking"
One would think it would be at upsetting to the driver and give him a pilot wound complete with total blackouts every 20 frikken seconds at the very least.

How about an M8 firing at near point blank range on the tread of a tank and causing no damage.
Yet a few short bursts from a 50 cal knocking its tread out
Somehow I think the AP rounds of an M8 firing at very close range would at least damage the treads on even a tiger.

And werent Shermans known as "The Ronson" because they went up in flames so easy?
Yet we have Shermans with armor that seems to be comparable to the Tiger

There are numerous problems with the GV portion of the game. Which is why I dont play it nearly as much anymore

Not to mention the gameplay itself with the on top of one another spawn points
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Not sure bout m3 damage model who cares that much though HE rounds usually do the trick.  A 75mm should never ricochet off of it though.

LOL you would at least expect it to blow off a fender.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
thats being said.. would anything inside the M3 ie troops or cargo be destroyed or injured

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »
thats being said.. would anything inside the M3 ie troops or cargo be destroyed or injured

Just egos
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
The first two clips show what kind of 37mm AP placement is needed to kill a Sherman.http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html After that take a look at the shots needed to kill a M3 halftrack. http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/halftrackm3.html The M3 is actually the harder kill, when in the real world it had far thinner armor all around. Heres the clip, 2 passes for each vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VowOihgASU

That's why you always get a victory when you use HE rounds. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
as a frequent driver of said M3s, i can assure you they're not titanium. simple .50 mgs will easily kill one.

Well I'd say from an aircraft? Different story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l92mCb_v5iE I still say I hit him hard enough to put him down earlier then I actually did.

Thats a 2nd M3 that I chased around thru heavy woods. I included the shots where I missed in order to show what a savvy M3 driver can do skittering thru woods at full speed. Because of hs jinxing I had to get close, but not close enough that I couldnt pull out and become a tree ornament. The guy was the same guy as the first film. Give him credit, he learned quickly.

Want to give an IL-2 fits? Then skitter thru woods at full speed, turning a lot, and make him forget that the trees really hurt. Even I occasionaly get to greedy and end up bug splat. :confused:
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
Here is a film where I put 4,000 + rounds into a tracked whirble.  (I am also in a whirble)

I was right next to a rearm pad on my field so I kept rearming.

Not sure all of my rearms are in the film.  I rearmed @ least 3-4 times before it finally died.

I think HTC neeeds to look @ the damage model of a few of the GV's.

Something a bit off.

LINK
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
And werent Shermans known as "The Ronson" because they went up in flames so easy?
Yet we have Shermans with armor that seems to be comparable to the Tiger

Because we don't have a Sherman. We have a Firefly, which is a HEAVILY upgraded Sherman used by the British.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
And then we have the 1 pass kiling of a T-34 right after the titanium M3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPmLBWaXQc

Good hits? Yes, sure. But still only 2 37mm hits that brought red. No neither GV had been shot before I found them. The first M3 in the thread had been hosed not only by me but also by 2 other attack planes.

The T-34 is a tough tank, most of all in the game. Its armor is pretty much standard all around, and sloped, at 45mm. The T34/85 also had a 70mm turret. The M3 was pretty much all around protected by 6.4mm armor. Again do the math and watch the hits. This one T-34 I hit hard and close and got 3 or 4 really well placed 37mm AP rounds right where I wanted them. No doubt such shots placed so would have killed a medium tank in real life as well. But had it been an M3 I bet I wouldnt have killed it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:05:55 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »
Because we don't have a Sherman. We have a Firefly, which is a HEAVILY upgraded Sherman used by the British.

Firefly had same armor as the US sherman, just bigger gun.  The sherman we have takes hits
too well from the Tiger n Panzer.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »
I had read in the Vehicles forum a couple times (in their big slug-fights) that the frontal armor was different. I surely could be wrong, though.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
Well I'd say from an aircraft? Different story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l92mCb_v5iE I still say I hit him hard enough to put him down earlier then I actually did.

Thats a 2nd M3 that I chased around thru heavy woods. I included the shots where I missed in order to show what a savvy M3 driver can do skittering thru woods at full speed. Because of hs jinxing I had to get close, but not close enough that I couldnt pull out and become a tree ornament. The guy was the same guy as the first film. Give him credit, he learned quickly.

Want to give an IL-2 fits? Then skitter thru woods at full speed, turning a lot, and make him forget that the trees really hurt. Even I occasionaly get to greedy and end up bug splat. :confused:
Trees are Gv'ers best allies.  :rock
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
I had read in the Vehicles forum a couple times (in their big slug-fights) that the frontal armor was different. I surely could be wrong, though.

from what ive read. most firefly's where M4A4. looking here the M4A1 Sherman and M4A4(used for firefly)
had same armor thickness.
http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »
as for killing M3s. Shoot them in the grill in front of engine, give 1 shot kill everytime. I have
no trouble killing M4s.