Author Topic: Reseting a bios password  (Read 257 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Reseting a bios password
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
Anyone have any experience doing this?  Looking at buying an old Athlon XP cpu and board off craigslist but the seller says he doesn't have the password for the bios.  Just looking for a cheap upgrade on my linux server box.

I've google it a bit and found some software that may do the trick or there may be a backdoor password from the manufacturer.  Board is an Asus A7V333
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Reseting a bios password
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »
Anyone have any experience doing this?  Looking at buying an old Athlon XP cpu and board off craigslist but the seller says he doesn't have the password for the bios.  Just looking for a cheap upgrade on my linux server box.

I've google it a bit and found some software that may do the trick or there may be a backdoor password from the manufacturer.  Board is an Asus A7V333
Remove Battery from the board for 10 mins to 24 hours, use the jumper on the MB to reset BIOS with battery out.  Place jumper when it belongs (norm position) replace battery, viola, your good to go.

TD

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
I'm fairly sure you can just use the CMOS jumper without taking out the battery, a little less trouble anyways. Simply move the jumper from the two of the three pins it currently rests on over onto the middle and the unused one. Then move it back to the position is was before. Not only will this reset the BIOS password, but any BIOS setting that was changed from it's original setting.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
I know there's one IBM motherboard which was constructed in a way to prevent an, "intrusion" by resetting the CMOS. While your ASUS board is unlikely to sport a similar feature, I simply wanted to point out that a CMOS reset won't always remove the BIOS password.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
Remove Battery from the board for 10 mins to 24 hours, use the jumper on the MB to reset BIOS with battery out.  Place jumper when it belongs (norm position) replace battery, viola, your good to go.

TD
Worked perfectly.  Left the battery out for 30 minutes while I cleaned the HSF out which had about 6 years of dust.  The guy I bought it from said he tried reseting the CMOS but don't think he left the battery out long enough.  A nice little upgrade for my clark connect box and worth the $15 IMO.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either