Author Topic: Lions and Tigers and Video Cards, OH MY!  (Read 236 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Lions and Tigers and Video Cards, OH MY!
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »
Running a single 8800GT.  Runs AH just fine.  Looking to upgrade for other games.

MoBo is SLI-ready.

Ditch 8800GT and buy a newer, better, single card or grab another 8800GT and "SLI" them?

Single card recommendations?  Researching now... confusing myself.  Would like to stick with nVidia.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lions and Tigers and Video Cards, OH MY!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
I wouldn't try SLI (I did and couldn't enable vsync).  A 9xxx series probably won't be that big an upgrade for you so you'll probably want to step up to a 2xx series card. 

If you're running a 32 bit OS stick with the cards with less memory so you're not stealing system memory.  Beyond that get the fastest memory clock speed you can find for the number of pixel pipelines (GPU core) that you're looking at.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Lions and Tigers and Video Cards, OH MY!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
I wouldn't SLI, unless you want to throw some money away.  You're not going to get 2x the performance from having 2 cards.  For the sub $500 options, single cards almost always are the best option.

I generally tend to use tomshardware monthly article on Best Video Cards for the buck.  July's edition is available and August's should be available in the next 7-10 days, I doubt there will be much difference.

Broken down by AGP (not much anymore) and PCI-E and in multiple price points...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2362.html
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either