Author Topic: Ram Effect  (Read 607 times)

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2001, 03:39:00 AM »
What does 'rated altitude' mean?

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
What I think is really interesting about everything Funked is posting is that it demonstrates why it takes HTC time to get new planes in game.

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
AFAIK the waste gate is used to adjust how much exhaust gases are directed to the turbo. At low altitude waste gate is more open than at high altitude because less exhaust gases (lower turbo rpm) is needed to keep wanted MAP. At high altitude the waste gate is nearly or fully shut because more exhaust gases (higher turbo RPM) is needed to keep wanted MAP.

gripen

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »
Now if you could test some of the LW Iron...  :D

Offline bolillo_loco

• Copper Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
fuel is added well after the turbo charger is done figuring out what MAP to maintain. waste gate does not dump air/fuel mixture over board. it does not affect fuel economy.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Ram Effect
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
A waste gate simply dumps exhaust gas pressure directly to the exhaust outlet or the atmosphere, rather than routing it through the turbine housing of the turbocharger to drive the turbine.

On modern engines, it is sometimes controlled by a solenoid, and is often operated by intake manifold pressure. It may be adjusted manually, or controlled by a computer.

On planes like the P-38, the P-47, the B-17, and the B-24, it was controlled by an oil pressure regulated system.

It was common to have problems with the P-38 and the P-47 especially at high altitudes, because pilots were bad about not controlling oil temperature. The oil would actaully congeal in the regulator, and the regulator would no longer function. the turbo would either build only about 5 psi with the wast gate stuck open, and provide no power, or it would build in excess of 80 psi, blowing the engine, the intercooler hoses, rupturing the intercoolers themselves, or overspeeding the turbo to destruction. The P-38 actually had an armor ring around the turbo to protect the pilot and plane from fragments.

All of those planes above shared the General Electric B-2, B-33, and B-34 turbochargers. The U.S. did not allow these systems to be installed on aircraft sold to toher countries.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Ram Effect
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
LOL I forgot where the wastegate was.  Me tard.    :)
Just explained to some guys how it worked at the USAF museum in October too.  Must be Nutrasweet brain damage affecting memory.   :)

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]