Author Topic: Plane views in turn fights.  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Plane views in turn fights.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
Reading this was very helpfu. Question: Are hits on planes ONLY calculated on the Shooters computer, or do the computers bullets travel via internet to the targets computer, and do hits register there too?

Only on the shooters computer.

Hitting your enemy would often be simply impossible if it were otherwise.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
This is very good info. So when we're all whining about lag causing us to miss, we're full of it, because lag affects the 'shootee' not the 'shooter'.

So I have only to blame myself for missed shots.

Thanks Lusche
Who is John Galt?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 10:43:56 AM »
Don't take that information too far, Vinkman.  Sometimes the shooter really can be the victim of packet loss, usually when the target's internet connection is poor.  90% of the time that I've experienced "rubber bullet syndrome," and that in itself is quite rare, it's when the target was warping all over.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »
I am trying to understand it completely. If the the hits on my screen count, then bullets can't get lost because my computer is calculating whether the target is hit based on his position in my virtual sky and the path of my bullets in my sky. So then the question is do packets that contain the hit data get lost, such that the damage is never recorded? If I understand what you're saying correctly, only that the target was hit (and how hard and where) is calculated on my computer, but that info is then transmitted to the server which keeps track of the hits and totals the plan damage and determines if the target is damaged. So if the hit packets get lost, the game will still see it as a miss. Also noteworthy is that if a guy is Warping, I can still hit him where I see him on my screen, assuming the packets don't get lost.

If all this is true than to some it all up....

1) When shooting at a target you need NOT account for lag effects with respect to gunnery.
2) When being shot at you NEED to account for lag and project/react to lag affects.
3) Dropped packets can cause hits not to register, and warping.

Have I got it correct?

Who is John Galt?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
I am trying to understand it completely. If the the hits on my screen count, then bullets can't get lost because my computer is calculating whether the target is hit based on his position in my virtual sky and the path of my bullets in my sky. So then the question is do packets that contain the hit data get lost, such that the damage is never recorded? If I understand what you're saying correctly, only that the target was hit (and how hard and where) is calculated on my computer, but that info is then transmitted to the server which keeps track of the hits and totals the plan damage and determines if the target is damaged. So if the hit packets get lost, the game will still see it as a miss. Also noteworthy is that if a guy is Warping, I can still hit him where I see him on my screen, assuming the packets don't get lost.

If all this is true than to some it all up....

1) When shooting at a target you need NOT account for lag effects with respect to gunnery.
2) When being shot at you NEED to account for lag and project/react to lag affects.
3) Dropped packets can cause hits not to register, and warping.

Have I got it correct?

You got it! :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »
Whew!  :rolleyes:
Who is John Galt?