Author Topic: Stick spiking issues  (Read 1135 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Stick spiking issues
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
The stick is a CH Fighter stick

Lately I've been having alot of issues with my joystick spiking in game. Thing is, It only spikes in game. I dont see it spiking in the CM control manager at all. Even if the game is running.
But when I to calibrate an axis in game the numbers with twich and spike all over the place with various severity.

Also I cant seem to scale the stick for smooth or precise operation.

Example. If im in a ships gun and I'm aiming at a range of 10.1 and I go to elevate the guns for greater range I may end up with it going like this
10.2  10.3  10.9  11.5 11.7  12.9
and not be able to get the gun to set at more precise ranges in those missing gaps

Last night for example I was gunning at a range of 13.5 and wanted to adjust range to 13.7  8, .9 etc nut it would jump to 14.8

Same thing moving left or right with varying severity

With a different twist on this. is pitch (up and down ) problems are less noticeable in an aircraft. While Rolling can sometimes become more severe where sometimes I'll go to go into a bank left or right and suddenly I'm unintentionally doing a barrel roll.

Meaning pitch is more noticeable in a ships gun or GV but not as much in an aircraft and roll is more noticeable in an aircraft and not as much in a ships gun/GV

This has been really frustrating as of late and obviously has a major impact on game play when aircraft aren't doing what I want or expect them to do based on a given amount of stick input.

I've tried a powered hub and taking the stick apart and spraying up all moving parts  and non moving parts for that matter with QD contact cleaner to no effect.

Again I can only see the stick spiking in the AH "map controllers" If I hit the windows key and go to the CH control manager there is no spiking at all and I can precisely put the controller wherever I want it.

Also. in game it doesn't seem to spike through its entire range of motion. Doing nothing sometimes it wont spike at all till I move the stick. Then when I move the stick it may go smooth then start spiking at various points then go back to smooth operation again. Or vise verse.

Suggestions?  Fixes?
Or should I get a new stick?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:13:41 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Stick spiking issues
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
have you tried it on a other pc?
Have you made sure adjustment wheels are set properly?
I have noticed in CH manager you have X Y curves setting box, you might be able to decrease
sensitivity with these :old:

Your mouse keyboard alright disconnect while flying maybe something up with them.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
Go to map controllers, one axis at a time, see which pot is causing the problem.

Then try using a bit of deadband, and damping, see if you can "tune" it out.
Eventually if you can't, your looking at replacing pots.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
Yea. I managed to damper it down so that its tolerable. But at some point in the not too distant future I think Im just going to get another stick.

Yes I know Pots re only like $10. But I am also badly in need of a new 8 way hat switch. Right now I cant look back left or back right. And the front quarter views are starting to go as well. And unfortunately for some reason CH doesnt sell those as parts. I already tried taking it apart and enlarging the hole as discribed in how to turn a 4 way hat into an 8 way hat. And that worked for a while. But now Im again back to square 1.

Anyway. In light of everything combined. I think I may be better off just getting a new stick
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »
Is it running on a separate powered USB hub? That's helped some people with spikey sticks.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
I had the same problem and going to a powwered USB hub it stopped completely.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
I tried that already as mentioned in my OP. I seem to have it dampened down enough now so that its tolerable. But I still may get a new stick because of the hat switch issues. For right now I'll just live with it. Just one more handicap for my opponents in the MA LOL

Finally got it to spike in the CM. Not much nor nowhere near the amount is spikes when I have the game up in front of me. Which to me seems really weird. One would think that with the game running in the background. If its spiking in game. It should also be spiking just as much in the CM. But thats not at all the case.

<shrug> I dunno
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »
I've kept favourite old sticks alive for years by spraying WD40, RP7 or better still one of the evaporative electrical cleaners into the offending pots (leaves no residue). Hat switches on the other hand, are just tiresome..... I'd replace switch or stick in that event.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde