Author Topic: AC3D questions  (Read 864 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
AC3D questions
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:10 AM »
I ma working with the totally new Karelia terrain and I am going to add there more custom objects: mostly couple of historical buildings. Maybe you remember BlauK's Castle Of the Viipuri town from the earlier map.

So I am a veteran with the terrains but very newbie with the AC3D software. I have learned it and edited some default buildings and for ex. pine trees to the new map. Couple of questions:

1) I didn't found how I can set the textures' pink areas (trees) transparency in the AC3D, now they are visible there but working correctly with the Object and Terrain Editors.
2) I made scots pines from the default pines removing the bottom branches, those are typical Finnish trees. Everything else is ok but the new tree's shadow is not working correct, it is totally black and don't fade out smoothly. Is this a feature which AC3D don't understand?

Edit: I just noticed that the shadow error is coming when "Exporting to AC3D" and "Converting AC3D file" back (without AC3D program) with the Object Editor. Maybe this is a bug or does anybody know anything from this?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:55:28 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: AC3D questions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:44:17 AM »
It sounds like you need you Alpha texture file for the pink are to be transparent.

"yourfilename_a.txt"  it would be the same name as your texture with the _a.txt added.

As far as the shadows I really don't know, I haven't worked with them yet.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »
Hello MrMidi! The Alpha does not work with the ac3d program, I see there also those pinks. But it works with the editors... I don't find any button from ac3d from where i can adjust the "pines0_a.txt"...
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Hello MrMidi! The Alpha does not work with the ac3d program, I see there also those pinks. But it works with the editors... I don't find any button from ac3d from where i can adjust the "pines0_a.txt"...
No, you won't.

All cautions about working with copies apply!

In GIMP or PS, export your bitmap. Then convert it to indexed color (aka 256 color mode).

Using the color tool in GIMP or PS, view the 256 color map, and locate the alpha color, and it's index number.

This is the number that should be in the <tree>_a.txt file, and it will change most anytime you edit your texture in GIMP or PS.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »

In GIMP 2.6+ you can also open the indexed image color pallet and drag that pink(255,0,255) to any place you want in give pallet. I assume, the PS has similar function.