Author Topic: How to clean a laptop screen...  (Read 436 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
How to clean a laptop screen...
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
... Um yeah, this might seem like a silly question, but I'm paranoid about doing anything to damage my precious, lol. Does anyone have any good and SAFE recomendations on how best to clean a laptop screen? I have one of those little cleaning rags that came with it, but I think I might need some kind of solution as well. Any tips?

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
Re: How to clean a laptop screen...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »
50% distilled water
50% Isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol!!)
Use a microfiber cloth ONLY..  Nothing else....
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »
50% distilled water
50% Isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol!!)
Use a microfiber cloth ONLY..  Nothing else....

Got it, thanks!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »
Safest is to use a microfiber with a drop of water. All that's needed really.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
I myself have this memorex cleaning unit.  I got it from Circuit City cost me about $12, pretty sure you can get it from Best Buy.

It has a microfiber and brush ends to clean the screen and comes with this cleaning liquid.  Bought it 2 years ago and it still lasting me.  Works very nicely.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
I've been using a product called 'sprayway glass cleaner' for years on both my Desktop and Laptop LCD with no problems.  I get this cleaner at Sam's... it's a foaming aerosol product which is ammonia free.. I just spray a very light 'dusting' on the monitor and wipe it clean with a soft paper towel...

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
... Um yeah, this might seem like a silly question, but I'm paranoid about doing anything to damage my precious, lol. Does anyone have any good and SAFE recomendations on how best to clean a laptop screen? I have one of those little cleaning rags that came with it, but I think I might need some kind of solution as well. Any tips?
Trust Me I'm the same way...after dropping a grand on a laptop I've been wiping EVERY spec off it...one of the plastic strips that went up the side of the screen fell down today and there was a SCRATCH on it. :furious

Anyway, I'll have to pick up some of these for my screen...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »
Water and a clean soft cloth.  Chemicals and cleaning solutions will mar the plastic coating on the screen, so eventually you have a permanent haze on your screen.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
Water and a clean soft cloth.  Chemicals and cleaning solutions will mar the plastic coating on the screen, so eventually you have a permanent haze on your screen.

Yeah, but don't use tap water....  Distilled water is best as it has almost no impurities and won't leave any residue or streaks like tap water will..
The isopropyl alcohol assists in evaporating the distilled water faster as well as lifting and dissolving any dirt on the screen.. 
This is pretty much what is in all LCD screen cleaners (distilled water and isopropyl alcohol).. 

Straight tap water also has chlorine as well as other chemical which will eventually(over time) give you the haze which you speak of....

If you're going to use just straight water and no alcohol, use distilled water....
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"