Author Topic: Vista Programs not responding  (Read 474 times)

Offline Sc00ter

• Zinc Member
Vista Programs not responding
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »
I run Vista on my laptop which is my secondary computer for work. I try to play AH and the proram doesn't respond. Tsting other programs I found none of them respond. After trying to restart computer i found out computer never logs off and will sit all night like that with the spinning blue circle. I know this is not an AH problem but I am wondering if anyone with Vista experience this and does anyone have any ideas to repair this issue. Also realized there is no internet connectivity

Thanks for any help
No Fat Chicks on this Sc00ter

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Vista Programs not responding
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:29:47 AM »
"I run Vista on my laptop"

Nuff said

Too vague to really come up with an answer for ya, could be a lot of things.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
Typically when they refuse to shutdown its due to some program running that isnt closing properly(either one of your programs OR spyware/malware/etc) .......or it could be a driver related issue.....

first thing I would do is make sure my drivers were updated and do some scans to be sure you dont have any 'unwanted' progs running

if that doesnt work then go through your running processes list and see what programs are running that dont need to be..... sometimes software that runs on startup like creative/roxio/adobe/or things like that can cause problems closing at shutdown.......... these are things you dont need running unless youre using the software...... Id suggest removing them from your startup list and see if that helps at all

"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »
There has been cases where an antivirus update has jammed Vista. Yours might be similar.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:01:32 AM »
yep....... most Ive ever seen or read about where caused by some program not wanting to close because its hanging on an update  or needing an update

like I said most times these things are reflected in your running processes list......... theres usually some file in there that shouldnt be thats the update (etc) trying to complete (which it cannot because its hungup) before it will successfully close........... windows will infinitely wait for that program to finish what its doing
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »
hmm i run vista on my laptop ....no problems .

goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
Vista has a tendency to find ram problems from computers due to superfetch filling it always.

So you might have either ram or harddrive problem - either one can have symptoms like you described. I would try running chkdsk -f to check for bad sectors and then testing the ram with memtest86+
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »
I was looking at the same issue on my cousings laptop.  Found over 10k viruses, trojans etc.  Had to reformat/reinstall hipefully that will take care of it

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Sc00ter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »
Thanks to everyone for great advice I will replt on the outcome soon.

Thanks  :salute
No Fat Chicks on this Sc00ter