Author Topic: Should I be concerned?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Should I be concerned?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »
Cat gives me indigestion ever since that kitty litter fiasco
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Waldo

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »
 Bananas, the perfect preflight meal..... They taste the same coming back up as they did going down. :D

Seriously, enjoy the ride.
I read it on the internet, so it must be true !

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:18 AM »
Be concerned if Sol often uses any of the following phrases:

"Hey, watch this!"

"Betcha I can..."

"Whoops"
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 03:53:03 AM »
I'd jump all over that!!!!  :x

Have fun! :aok

<S>

Grind
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 04:59:39 AM »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 09:15:28 AM »
ToeTag:

IMO that was an unneeded post.  The pilot died in that accident.  I do not find the post amusing in the slightest.

Sol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
Before I fly anything I check.  It has a great record.  I could only find 2 accidents.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »
Before I fly anything I check.  It has a great record.  I could only find 2 accidents.

Still unneeded to post here, safety in an aerobatic plane such as the Edge is primarily a function of the pilot.  The aircraft VERY RARELY fail, and most of the times such accidents are the result of pilot error, or the "Hey y'all watch this" Syndrome, as I call it.

Based on the narrative given in your post, it appears the pilot failed to level the plane fast enough following his 2nd hammerhead, or performed the hammerhead at too low of an altitude, and perhaps even induced a high speed stall by trying to pull out TOO quickly when he saw he was too low.  The Edge, by design, can easily pitch rapidly enough to induce a high-speed stall. (this is desired for many aerobatic maneuvers).

Performing aerobatics at low altitude obviously carries certain risks with it, and should only be done for demonstration purposes. (airshows, practice for shows, etc).

I, for one, ESPECIALLY if I am carrying a passenger, will only peform aerobatics at a MINIMUM of 2500 feet AGL.  I set that as a "hard deck" and during my practice, consider any excusrion below 2500 to have been a potentially fatal crash. In this way, I will learn, over time, to bring the "show" closer to the ground, to prepare for the time when I feel I am ready to begin performing at airshows and such.

Granted, I occasionally will perform basic aerobatics, such as aileron rolls, or inverted flight, at lower altitudes, but such maneuvers I consider safe, and consider myself proficient enough to perform at lower altitudes.  But anything with a result of a significant descent rate, or nose down attitude, I only perform at altitude.

This will change when I have gottent o the point of practicing directly for a aerobatic routine/airshow, but ONLY when I am flying solo.  I will always perform aerobatics with a "hard deck" when giving a passenger a demonstration flight.

(Please forgive my spelling, am typing one handed, as I got my hand caught in the prop of one of my RC planes a couple days ago, and have many stitches and heavy bandages on my left hand)

Sol
80th FS "Headhunters"

In-Game as Castiel
Pastafarian for life

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:12 AM »
Wow,  in that case.  Can I fly with you.  You made me feel safe.  lol
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
(Please forgive my spelling, am typing one handed, as I got my hand caught in the prop of one of my RC planes a couple days ago, and have many stitches and heavy bandages on my left hand)

Sol

That is why I use a powered starter. owwww
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
Me too on my smaller stuff shuff, but this was a DA50 turning a 23" prop... cant elec start those.  Anwyay, it wasnt a normal hand in prop scenerio, I had started the engine, and was running it at about half throttle, was jsut getting rdy to stand up to walk behind the plane, when the hold back rope snapped, and the plane rolled forward.  Out of instinct, I put my hand out to stop it, and right into the spinning prop.

All in all, probably a good thing, had i not done so it would have rolled right into me (i was sitting infront of it indian style, had been working on the engine) and the prop owuld have struck my calves, thghs, and possibly y crotch.

Sol
80th FS "Headhunters"

In-Game as Castiel
Pastafarian for life

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 04:37:51 AM »
Me too on my smaller stuff shuff, but this was a DA50 turning a 23" prop... cant elec start those.  Anwyay, it wasnt a normal hand in prop scenerio, I had started the engine, and was running it at about half throttle, was jsut getting rdy to stand up to walk behind the plane, when the hold back rope snapped, and the plane rolled forward.  Out of instinct, I put my hand out to stop it, and right into the spinning prop.

All in all, probably a good thing, had i not done so it would have rolled right into me (i was sitting infront of it indian style, had been working on the engine) and the prop owuld have struck my calves, thghs, and possibly y crotch.

Sol

Show 'em the "after" picture and all dem' stitches.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »

Sol

actually, i thought i had seen onboard starters for r/c aircraft that big?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 08:13:24 AM »
Cap: really? I havent seen that yet... not doubting there is such a thing, I jsut havent seen it.  Although I would think the weight could wind up being prhibitive, depending ont he type of aircraft you are flying.

80th FS "Headhunters"

In-Game as Castiel
Pastafarian for life