Author Topic: My advbentures with TDComputers  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: My advbentures with TDComputers
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »
Not sure batch.  I thought all fans came with a zener until a friend of mine brought his comp over one day for me to work on it.  Kept noticing a power trickle after power was turned off.  It happened to coincide with the fans in his computer.

It is also worth mentioning that fans should be fed directly back to the power supply.  Any decent supply should take that power from the fans to ground after power is removed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
I just use my 300MPH leaf blower.  Anyone caught in the path of debris knows what a sandblaster feels like.

I actually did that once.. .had an old POS system I was going to fix up for a friend of a friend kind of deal... opened it up and it must have had 1 1/2 inches of ... dust... skin cells... cat fur... god only knows what caked on everything...  Well I didn't want to get that stuff tossed up everywhere so i moved it out into the garage trying to figure out what to clean it all out with... then I noticed my father in law left his leaf blower in my garage... hrmmm...

Took me two hours to clean up the mess!!! but the computer was clean as a whistle HAHAHA

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
I just use my 300MPH leaf blower.  Anyone caught in the path of debris knows what a sandblaster feels like.  :)
:rofl
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:34:52 PM »
Another danger especially when using an air compressor to remove dust is that you must take care not to spin up the fans if at all possible.  Besides possible mechanical damage, it can feed voltages back into whatever it's connected to (motherboard in particular) and damage it. 

<S>

Never knew they could feed power back into the mobo, although I usually tried to avoid spinning them to much just because I feared it would cause mechanical damage for spinning way to fast. Interesting tip none the less.

:salute
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »
If the fan has ball bearings, the speed won't be much of an issue. A sleeve bearing wouldn't like it too much, I bet.

Electricity works both ways. Take a magnet and a coil of magnet wire. Turn on current, magnet goes flying (solenoid, same principle that spins your fan). Move the magnet inside the wire, create current (how all power plants work).
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »
I actually did that once.. .had an old POS system I was going to fix up for a friend of a friend kind of deal... opened it up and it must have had 1 1/2 inches of ... dust... skin cells... cat fur... god only knows what caked on everything...  Well I didn't want to get that stuff tossed up everywhere so i moved it out into the garage trying to figure out what to clean it all out with... then I noticed my father in law left his leaf blower in my garage... hrmmm...

Took me two hours to clean up the mess!!! but the computer was clean as a whistle HAHAHA

That is why I take it out to the driveway.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:56 AM »
Use a little duct tape to hold fans in place.  Yes, a fan motor is a generator when it is being turned by an external force.

I found out some years back that a 1000W vacuum on a CPU fan can generate enough current to fry a mobo, now I use an allen key or similar to stop the fans rotating when cleaning. doh.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
I have used a leaf blower on one of my parents computers when they had 5 cats living in their house and they brought it to me to fix.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
Leaf Blower would be a lot better than an air compressor.   Drier forced air, happier PC Parts.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »
Good to know TD isn't letting one unrealistic dweeb interfere with his business. If only I had the cash I would save myself the headaches of a build...  :aok

One thing I do know about doing business with the general public, there will always be that 1% who will cause a bigger stink than a trainload of pig manure. For people like that I go by the words of my uber geek buddy..."You are too stupid to own a computer, I don't want you as a customer and you're not worth the time or effort."

gyrene81,
I am not wanting to cause a fuss or anything of the like, but your above quote is uncalled for.......the "1" unsatisfied customer you are refering to never said anything to harm TilDeath in public or on the boards......

his only post regarding the experience was:
Silat
AH Training Corps
Gold Member

Reg: Dec 1999

Thread Title: TilDeath
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:09 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone considering buying a computer from TilDeath feel free to talk to me about my bad experience. 

so if you want to jump on TilDeath's bandwagon or if you want to shoot the wagon wheels off of Silat's bandwagon, then by all means go for it......but quit trying to make a mountian out of a mole hill. Skuzzy locked that thread and edited it for good reason..noone should be allowed to take "potshots" at others for any reason!!! ( unless it is me, I deserve to do whatever I desire :rofl ROFL  :rofl )

and for others in this thread, as well as TilDeath himself........... please don't PM me, Please stop PMing me............for I was not involved and I do not give 2 chits about others peoples problems nor do I want to be placed on anybodys side.......

(sidenote)  I deleted the 2 seperate PM's I recently received from 2 individuals, for I do not give a care........hope ya'll work it out )

Wrag,
good to here your Son and Daughter-in-law are enjoying their new Comps.....be sure to keep your fan filters cleaned often, I'd say clean them weekly like every Saturday morning while having that 1st cup of coffee, or every 2 weeks at least....  :salute
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »
He took the time to help me prepare a tempest case in which he lost money ( he didnt charge me sales tax).  He volunteered to help me set up my computer, on the day he was on vacation with his family.  You bet  I'll keep on ordering from him.  and you bet I recommend him to all my friends and family.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
      Hi all,
    I enjoy reading the post I learn different tid-bits off information, I think its great. I enjoy the many post by differrent people.
    I have to agree with TequilaChaser, there was a thread that Skuzzy locked and locked with very good reason. That topic is old news, why rehash or bash someone over it. Move on 'PLEASE'.

Thank You
Cattb/Tim O
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty