Author Topic: I entered a True Story competion on the BBC.  (Read 538 times)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
I entered a True Story competion on the BBC.
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
I entered a True Story competeion on the BBC here in the UK.  Don't think I'll win but I think some of you will be surprised by my story.  To this day I've not found out what happened to my neighbours or their friends other than whats in the story.

Hope you find it intersting.   Here's the link to the full story  (1500 words)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mystory/stories/tragedy/150177/

This is the synopsis

My story recollects, from my home in Coventry, the run up to Gulf war II and my unusual part in UK homeland security.  

Drawn into observing the mannerisms of my neighbours, my major conflict is that of the mind, my disbelief fencing with rationality.  Stubbornly I keep finding my intuition arm wrestles with reality.  There is no clear evidence only supposition on my part.  

The neighbour’s actions in plain view are everyday and innocent but from the periphery seemingly shaded.  Something wasn’t quite right but had I the right to act or indeed was it right to act.  

As a rapid sequence of events unfolds we get to see pieces of a picture lain down before us, becoming a tangible thing of predictability.  We can see the outcome but if those events are subtle and slight of detail they hold no meaning making the picture less defined if at all.  This leaves me with a conundrum.  These events are factual but so innocuous I question myself to the validity of my reasoning. The facts are there but then again they’re not, much like a giant jigsaw puzzle without its box.  To report this conundrum I am forced, reluctantly, to grasp my intuition and take a leap of faith.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:17:23 PM by LYNX »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: I entered a True Story competion on the BBC.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
Seemed pretty cut and dry. Good job. Wouldn't lose any sleep

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »
Have a little faith in the justice system. If they weren't doing anything wrong then they wouldn't be held or charged. Who knows what they were up to if anything at all. I think you responded with a sense of civil duty seldom shown by us Brits today.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »
I wish my neighbors in Cambridge had shown a little curiosity when my house was broken into and looted...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
Interesting read LYNX.  Grammar police would have a good time with it, but I found it intriguing and informative.  Do you think you will ever be able to write a story without at least a little AH in it?

:salute
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
Interesting.

A friend of mine faced a similar situation in the days following the 9-11 attacks.

She too called the authorities but endured some discomfort trying to remain anonymous from other neighbors who apparently had some sympathy for these men and were angry that someone had done this.

I counseled her, as I would you, that the affair had likely been sorted out to the correct conclusion, and that if there were no violations, criminal, immigration or otherwise, no arrests would have been made.

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
Interesting read LYNX.  Grammar police would have a good time with it, but I found it intriguing and informative.  Do you think you will ever be able to write a story without at least a little AH in it?

Grammar police?  I read it an nothing struck me as glaringly incorrect. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »
At Adrian College, one of my good friends fought the Soviets in the Mujahideen.    He was a quick witted, intelligent and a great friend.   He had no plans to go back to Afghanistan then in 1992.  

Another good friend of mine was in Kuwait as Saddam rolled into there in 1990. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
I wish my neighbors in Cambridge had shown a little curiosity when my house was broken into and looted...

If it was broken into it was burglars.  If it was looted it was most definitely your neighbours  :D

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
If it was broken into it was burglars.  If it was looted it was most definitely your neighbours  :D

Good point :) 
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »
I entered a True Story competeion on the BBC here in the UK.  Don't think I'll win but I think some of you will be surprised by my story.  To this day I've not found out what happened to my neighbours or their friends other than whats in the story.

Hope you find it intersting.   Here's the link to the full story  (1500 words)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mystory/stories/tragedy/150177/

This is the synopsis

My story recollects, from my home in Coventry, the run up to Gulf war II and my unusual part in UK homeland security.  

Drawn into observing the mannerisms of my neighbours, my major conflict is that of the mind, my disbelief fencing with rationality.  Stubbornly I keep finding my intuition arm wrestles with reality.  There is no clear evidence only supposition on my part.  

The neighbour’s actions in plain view are everyday and innocent but from the periphery seemingly shaded.  Something wasn’t quite right but had I the right to act or indeed was it right to act.  

As a rapid sequence of events unfolds we get to see pieces of a picture lain down before us, becoming a tangible thing of predictability.  We can see the outcome but if those events are subtle and slight of detail they hold no meaning making the picture less defined if at all.  This leaves me with a conundrum.  These events are factual but so innocuous I question myself to the validity of my reasoning. The facts are there but then again they’re not, much like a giant jigsaw puzzle without its box.  To report this conundrum I am forced, reluctantly, to grasp my intuition and take a leap of faith.

i read your story this afternoon, on my lunchbreak.

i found it both interesting, and somewhat frightening. i liked the way you worded things, and kept it interesting.

what i find frightening, is that this is a true account(i think you said that?) while it may well have been terrorists in this case, things like this encourage people to "snoop" on their neighbors and friends, then turn them in to the authorities, if anything at all seems even remotely "not normal" to them.

i'll use myself for an example. i work 2 jobs(including running my shop). i fly remote control models. i shoot archery. i'm in and out all hours of the night. i am virtually unpredictable as to when i will or will not be home.

so lets take things in order.

remote control model flying. for the most part, i only fly my fixed wing models at AMA sanctioned clubs, and fields. BUT...i fly my helicopters where i feel like it.
 there is a bank right out in back of my shop. i practice hovering my heli there, in different situations. i practice hover taxing with it. i run my remote control trucks in their parking lot. this all takes place when they're closed.
 i do these same things at home, in my driveway, and in the street in front of my home. when i work on anything in my basement, or garage, lights are on late, stereo going(not too loud though).

to someone looking for that "excitement" in their middle aged life, virtually everything i just mentioned about my r/c flying can be interpreted as being "suspicious".

when i practice my archery, i set up targets on the back wall of my garage. it makes for a nice safe backstop. from my front yard to that wall is 20 yards. 30 yards on the sidewalk across the street, and 40 yards partly in my neighbors yard.
 i fletch my own arrows. i often change the tips. i try different sights. as we all know, a bow is a weapon. they're not often used as such(although about 2 years ago, a guy 4 blocks from my home shot 3 of his neighbors horses..killed em all), but none the less, they ARE weapons. they can be somewhat stealthy way to injure, or kill people.

to someone looking for that "excitement" in their middle aged life, virtually everything i just mentioned about my archery, can appear "suspicious".

with my shop, i often come home very late. once in awhile, i come home at normal times. more often than not, i run in fairly hurriedly, and run back out, as i head to home depot to pick up things for the work i need to do at my night job.
 depending on what i have to do there, i will be home anywhere from 10pm go 1am. sometimes a few of us from that store go to one of the bars on south street.

so.......if i had a nosy neighbor, that for whatever reason decided my "activities" were suspicious, i could end up having to account to the authorities as to why i fly r/c, why i shoot archery, why i fletch my own arrows, rather than buy them ready made, account for why i'm in and out all hours of the night, etc.

and now, i bet the very next response will say somewhere in it "well, if you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about."

really? what if said authorities damage my $1400 helicopter? what if they damage or destroy my $1800 worth of bows, and sights? or my several hundred dollars worth of arrows, and equipment?

what if they suddenly decide that i shouldn't be shooting into my garage, or running my r/c cars out front? or hovering my helis in my driveway?

if they were to come to question me here on my property, now the rest of the neighborhood will wonder what i did. should they decide i need to go to the station for questioning, then what? who's going to go to my night job? who's going to open my shop? who's going to replace the lost money while i'm not open?

then top off that on another forum(F/W), there was a thread about the UK having some sort of contest, giving everyone access to the 4 million + cameras over there.......why? to turn in criminals. this would bring us back to the neighbor spying on the neighbor problem.

stuff like this is not good. not good at all. it is absolutely frightening. if i were to be questioned for any of my "suspicious" activities, i can assure you that i would find out who was responsible, and there would be "words". you have any problems, or issues with me, you take them up with me.

in the case of your neighbors, everything sounded suspicious......so you were most probably right.........thankfully.

i'm not meaning to be demeaning towards you, just giving you another perspective.

eagl...what you mentioned, about wishing someone would've done this when your place got broken into? that sir is a completely different situation.

allmost forgot....good luck in the contest.  :aok
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:14:09 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 04:07:14 AM »
Cap1

Thanks for the feed back.  It's appreciated.  I understand your point fully and I agree with you 100%.  There are those in society that would abuse this if neighbour spying was prevalent or promoted.  Racism, spite and good grace with the powers that be would fuel a deluge of bogus complaints.

The remit for the competition was no more than 1,500 words, true and verifiable.  Limited by this I had no choice but to make things a tad brief, whilst trying to keep the story interesting.  In describing my story I went with facts but to do justice to this saga I needed twice the amount of words to narrate the events and emotions.  I chose the historical background narrative to build up a scene of events and time scale.  Which was unique to the other stories told.

I tried in the synopsis to describe the emotions but in real life, at the time, I felt like a complete plonker.  I did have a hard time with myself.  Was I caught up in those historic events?  Was I imagining things?  What was I being suspicious about?  Was I justified with my suspicions?  There was a whole plethora of questions.  To be honest I had little more than intuition to work on and indeed, more importantly, to justify.   

The question came down to this.  Should I tell the powers that be or just forget about it.  If I forget about it and something terrible happens where folk get hurt I'd be cursing myself for life. 

Anyways, thanks again for the input.  Had I 3,000 words to work with I could have told it better.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »

Me punctuation may be off in places but not me gramma.....she pasted away.  I likes to write now an then.  Think I'll have a go at some fiction in a proper writing competition.....no AH next.....promise.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
Cap1

Thanks for the feed back.  It's appreciated.  I understand your point fully and I agree with you 100%.  There are those in society that would abuse this if neighbour spying was prevalent or promoted.  Racism, spite and good grace with the powers that be would fuel a deluge of bogus complaints.

The remit for the competition was no more than 1,500 words, true and verifiable.  Limited by this I had no choice but to make things a tad brief, whilst trying to keep the story interesting.  In describing my story I went with facts but to do justice to this saga I needed twice the amount of words to narrate the events and emotions.  I chose the historical background narrative to build up a scene of events and time scale.  Which was unique to the other stories told.

I tried in the synopsis to describe the emotions but in real life, at the time, I felt like a complete plonker.  I did have a hard time with myself.  Was I caught up in those historic events?  Was I imagining things?  What was I being suspicious about?  Was I justified with my suspicions?  There was a whole plethora of questions.  To be honest I had little more than intuition to work on and indeed, more importantly, to justify.   

The question came down to this.  Should I tell the powers that be or just forget about it.  If I forget about it and something terrible happens where folk get hurt I'd be cursing myself for life. 

Anyways, thanks again for the input.  Had I 3,000 words to work with I could have told it better.

i'm glad you didn't take it personally...what i typed i mean........none of it was intended as such. i only wanted to put forth another viewpoint.....and i wasn't even wearing my tinfoil hat when i did that.  :rofl :D :aok :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 05:49:02 AM »
No worries mate and thanks for the complement on the writing style.  In trying to relay this event I tried to make look a bit more than just blogging.