Author Topic: Fuel leaks  (Read 741 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Fuel leaks
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »
I've noticed that in the P-39 that, dispite having seperate fuel tanks, the plane will drain all fuel if any one tank is hit and starts leaking. I think I've noticed that other planes will only drain the fuel of the tank that is leaking and leave the other tanks alone. Questions:

1. Is it true that fuel leaks are usually contained to the tank that is hit?

2. If question 1 is true, can the P-39 model be updated so that all the fuel doesn't drain out of every tank if one tank starts leaking?

Thanks,

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fuel leaks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
As one that's flown the P-39 often (but not often enough for my tastes) I have had a gas leak in one tank MANY times....

It may be the case that when you leave it on auto, that tank drains very fast from the bullet hole, but the other tank drains very fast because you're using it up.

Always (repeat: ALWAYS) switch to the damaged tank, and use as much as you can from that tank before it's gone!

If you have it on film, submit in bugs forum.

EDIT: Please note you only have about 25 mins on full internal gas... that's about 12 minutes when one tank is totally drained. If you upped 50% to begin with, you'd have 6 minutes or less in the "good" tank as the bad tank drains. You may just have not had much gas left over after your bad tank went dry. It happens once in a while.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
As one that's flown the P-39 often (but not often enough for my tastes) I have had a gas leak in one tank MANY times....

It may be the case that when you leave it on auto, that tank drains very fast from the bullet hole, but the other tank drains very fast because you're using it up.

Always (repeat: ALWAYS) switch to the damaged tank, and use as much as you can from that tank before it's gone!

If you have it on film, submit in bugs forum.

EDIT: Please note you only have about 25 mins on full internal gas... that's about 12 minutes when one tank is totally drained. If you upped 50% to begin with, you'd have 6 minutes or less in the "good" tank as the bad tank drains. You may just have not had much gas left over after your bad tank went dry. It happens once in a while.

Thanks Krusty. Last mission, upped with 100% fuel but got jumped early, got hit and started leaking, stayed in the fight for a while (10 minutes?) looked down and saw I had an 1/8 left started back for the base. Engine died when the fuel gage hit zero which was at the exact same time the fuel trail out of the back of the plane stopped. OK I'll try to switch manually and see if it helps. To be honest I'm not sure how many tanks there are, but I can check that be toggling through them. If it is a glitch I'll film and submit.

Thanks,

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
Thanks Krusty. Last mission, upped with 100% fuel but got jumped early, got hit and started leaking, stayed in the fight for a while (10 minutes?) looked down and saw I had an 1/8 left started back for the base. Engine died when the fuel gage hit zero which was at the exact same time the fuel trail out of the back of the plane stopped. OK I'll try to switch manually and see if it helps. To be honest I'm not sure how many tanks there are, but I can check that be toggling through them. If it is a glitch I'll film and submit.

Thanks,

Vinkman
Fuel trails don't stop.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »
Fuel trails don't stop.

They do when your graphics card decides it doesn't want to do it any more.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
If you had a fuel leak for 10 minutes, it is just a matter of "you lost all that gas right away, but kept fighting on what you had left" -- and what you had left didn't last very long.

remember you only get about 12-14 minutes (I can't remember which) from each wing... Assuming you burned some off before the fight, you were simply not checking your gas state during the fight  :aok

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
Fuel trails don't stop.

suns, are you sure about that?  Seem to remember getting hit in a P-38L and leaking fuel, and then it stopped after a while, but I could be wrong. This is hard to prove because I can only happen in DA or MA. Maybe I should submit to Techsupport and ask. but I don't know if they answer these types of questions.
Who is John Galt?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »
Fuel trails don't stop unless your system stops displaying them on accident. Unless they snuck that change in, which I've never heard of them doing.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
I've run out of fuel and the stream continues.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »
I've run out of fuel and the stream continues.

Yep....
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
iirc some early fighters didnt have fully independent tanks, the tanks were linked into 1 feed so a hole in one tank would drain all of them, could be its actually modelled correctly.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »
iirc some early fighters didnt have fully independent tanks, the tanks were linked into 1 feed so a hole in one tank would drain all of them, could be its actually modelled correctly.

Not sure about the linked tanks. Makes no sense. Would affect handling something fierce. If you knifed to long all your fuel would go to the low wing. Also there would be no reason to have a changeover valve as you could leave it on one tank and burn them all.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)