Author Topic: Standard Equip on ALL PLANES?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Standard Equip on ALL PLANES?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
The movie Topgun shows them looking backwards in a similar manner....one of the few parts they did get right.

Strip

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »
The movie Topgun shows them looking backwards in a similar manner....one of the few parts they did get right.

Strip

u mean goose was the mirror?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:36 AM »
I can leave my right hand on the steering wheel and look *almost* 90degrees behind me, by twisting torso and neck to the right. Takes longer to describe than to do. Not comfortable, not a position I'd hold for a long time. But you can see behind you alot better than Il2 lets on.
That is because il2 has a fixed head position with frozen eyes. I hated this so much that this feature single handedly killed IL2 for me.

Sitting on a chair, rotating your head to the side (normally you get a little more than 90 degrees) and on top of that you look backwards with your eyes (they are not fixed in the sockets) you can easily see directly behind you and cover even more than that with peripheral vision. If your shoulders are not strapped like they often do in planes, you can add leaning to the side and cover 200+ degrees backward. Pilots checking 6 do this twist with the neck so the head is not just rotated, it is also tilted. It gets a few more degrees and move the eyes a few more cm to peak behind the obstacle. Navigators often bang their heads against the canopy if they check 6 when the pilot suddenly rolls the other way. The actual limit is often how far do you have to stretch to look behind the chair/armor/cockpit wall and what limits your sideways head movement (like canopy). In that respect, AH "owl head" and free cockpit movement gives an end result that is the closest to the real thing.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
Its not that they would be useless in the real world, its that they would add nothing to the visibility we already enjoy in AHII but would add alot of graphics load.

Well if you really feel that way, you should have corrected all the people that posted that it was useless in the real world.
It would absolutely be useful to be looking forward and have a chance to see someone is on your 6 that you didnt know about. And that is its purpose as I described.
Why would it add so much to the graphics load? Where did that come from. Has a dev stated that or did you make it up? I hope with the level of graphics in the game, and the what you can buy in a graphics card for 80 dollars, that we are not too worried about optionally adding a little extra view window above the view screen.

No matter its eye candy advantage, the head on a stick view system in IL2 was always a fundamental and serious weakness vs AH in all of its versions.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
Well if you really feel that way, you should have corrected all the people that posted that it was useless in the real world.

It was pretty much useless and pilots didn't rely on them as much as you seem to think they did.  I recall reading one Spitfire comments about the mirrors and it was basically, if you see him in your mirror, it's already too late.  Pretty much sums up their usefulness.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
Found the following on page 59 of "To Fly & To Fight" by Bud Anderson and Joseph Hamelin.

I had my own system of scanning the sky, a section at a time, upper left and right, lower left and right, and the rear quadrants, too. The rear was your wingman's responsibility, but I always wanted to know myself.  By the time you saw planes in your rearview mirror, where they were the size of a fly-speck, they would be within firing range.  I didn't trust my backside to anyone. I was pretty attached to it.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »
I don't really know how useful it would be in the real world. I've never flown a WWII fighter and accessed the mirrors. Maybe it was more useful for the lead man in the formation than for actually spotting bandits. What I do know is that AHII gives you almost exactly what a RV mirror would give with a flick of a hatswitch. And I know that in Il2 you can toggle the mirrors on and off, and it does make a dramatic difference in graphics loading.

It would absolutely be useful to be looking forward and have a chance to see someone is on your 6 that you didnt know about. And that is its purpose as I described.
Why would it add so much to the graphics load? Where did that come from. Has a dev stated that or did you make it up? I hope with the level of graphics in the game, and the what you can buy in a graphics card for 80 dollars, that we are not too worried about optionally adding a little extra view window above the view screen.

No matter its eye candy advantage, the head on a stick view system in IL2 was always a fundamental and serious weakness vs AH in all of its versions.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »
The reason it wouldn't be useful in Aces High (regardless of whether it worked in the real world or not) would be it's size; to be is scale, it'd have to be absolutely tiny. And you're fitting an image the size of your screen onto it. Double the video processing for something in which you couldn't tell a tree from an airplane.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline ZZee

• Zinc Member
      • POTW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
well, if we're to have mirrors then we most certainly need turn signals to help us tell which way a plane is going to break. :rofl maybe they could be automatically linked to stick direction??
POTW 2nd wing

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »

Actually, yes, the developer in fact did say that:

BigCrate if you are envision mirrors that you could see while looking forward there are 2 huge problems with them.

1. Think of the size that the mirror would be on your screen, Then envision how what you see now looking forward has to be compressed into that small area, and then how small the objects would be,or more precisly how most planes could not be seen.

2. To make a mirror is realy displaying 2 different views at once, hence you almost 1/2 frame rate.

A better description.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/Viewports_and_Clipping.asp

Also I do not believe AW ever had a mirror, it had a mirror view on some planes.

Republic: I never said it was very difficult to make a mirror. Reread my quote, I said it would have a sever FPS impact. It really is equivalently to drawing the entire world twice per frame.

HiTech

I love that search button up there 

Try it yourself   :headscratch:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
Hitech is right in aw there was a mirror view in some planes (hurricane?)  which u could view by using your look back key.  you could actually see the mirror while flying but it didnt show any reflection.  it was too small.  Please remember that we played aw on the big screens which at the time were like 11 or 12 inch or something like that.

but if you guys think that mirrors will improve you sa, then I think you are wrong.  it will make it easier sometimes to avoid getting shot down, but most of the time he'll come in high or low and in those situations mirrors are pretty much useless.  better idea would be to actually scan the sky around you,  it only takes about 1 to 2 seconds to view and identify bogies on your six, the more you use it the easier it gets.  specially while you are chasing somebody.

semp
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:00:22 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.