Author Topic: Hellcat recovered!  (Read 495 times)

Offline b4o2s9s

• Zinc Member
Mstang67
No squad cuz noob

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Hellcat recovered!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 02:53:44 AM »
I heard something about this on the news. I think it is great! Hope discovery channel does something on this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:20:54 AM »
I think that is great, but it is very unlikely that this Great Lakes-based, 1945 training plane also saw action in the "Battle of Guadalcanal" and the Pacific as the story states.

Really good to see another Hellcat restoration though.  For as many as were made, its a pretty rare warbird nowadays.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:16:17 AM »
One thing stood out in this artical that made me  :headscratch:. It stated that the plane was practicing carrier take offs and landings on the Great Lakes.
Now with it being about 8am, and i hadnt had my first cup of coffee, i was thinking "no way did this happen". " How in the heck did they get an aircraft carrier on The Great Lakes"? So i googled "Aircraft carriers on Great Lakes" and this is what i came up with. Pretty cool stuff. In all my reading on WWII i never ran across these.

http://ix-carriers.blogspot.com/2008/02/video-history-of-great-lakes-carriers.html

<S>
Mbailey
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
Hmmm... missing the vertical stab and half of each wing... that looks like my F6F after landing from a typical sortie!  :lol

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
I hope in the next update we get the version of the F6 encrusted with mollusks :pray :D
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline b4o2s9s

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
That video was great. They trained over 17,000 pilots on the great lakes carriers!

+1 for the mollusk encrusted cockpit  :lol
Mstang67
No squad cuz noob

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »
There are many navy planes just off the beach of my hometown of Waukegan, IL.

From just after the beginning of the war to just past the war's end the US Navy practiced everything from strafing moving targets, divebombing, and limited no-ammo dogfighting.

My father-in-law (who would later be at 2nd wave on D-Day) remembers riding his bike from western Zion, IL down to the lakefront to watch the planes train.  The lake has grown some 6-8 blocks from where it is now, but he remembers vividly seeing navy planes practice strafing runs on both stationary and moving maritime targets  (towed by ships) (with live 50 cals....no less).  There are probably 50 to 65 planes (according to navy records) in the lake waters near the are as over years of training during the war some planes developed engine troubles and were unable to ditch on land.  Most ditched in the lake and were picked up by coast guard or small naval craft in the area.

Thanks to fresh water and not salt water, as well as the lake water's cool to cold tempratures (I never remembered the lake temp getting much over 65F during the hottest of summers) the planes are slow to corrode---leaving them in pretty good shape 50 years later...considering.

The one they found last year is being restored and will hang in O'Hare International Airport in Chicago.  I hope they restore this one and keep it in Lake County.  Somewhere in the public area of Great Lakes Naval Training Center (nearby, on the lake at the city of North Chicago, IL) would be nice.

ROX

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:39:17 PM by ROX »

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
Cool, welcome back aboard Hellcat. Missed the wire what a noob, I kid heeh. :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
Theres a video link for it in the Officers Club  cool footage
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch