Author Topic: Maintaining Corner Velocity  (Read 1296 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: Maintaining Corner Velocity
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
Thanks Rolex, got some extra bit of reading to do this semester.

GPA's not so bad this first semester either  :D

Anyway, I now understand a bit more. Due to the fact that deceleration cannot exceed the aircraft's forward acceleration in order to maintain corner velocity, one must keep one's fighter nose down a lot to keep that corner speed. A lot of the time though, as we all know, in a down in the weeds duel, this is not possible. So I often just put some WEP into any upward portion of the fighting to maintain as much speed as possible, especially since the Spitfire VIII does not zoom particularly well.

Other times, I will attempt to induce a controlled stall at the top of a loop, but I think this drains too much speed and puts me at a disadvantage if that stall doesn't immediately lead to a good shot solution.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:12:15 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
and Definately No when it comes to rolling scissors where you want to scrub your speed to create the overshoot.

One would not specifically want to Scrub Speed, rather one would want to keep their Speed(E) as much as possible, but slow their forward advancement.......doing so by way of a higher/steeper helix/angle......

yes both will eventually scrub some Speed........but in a rolling scissors it's about who moves the slowest going forward.....not who has the slowest speed.....to force an overshoot.....

hope this is of help to someone ~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Late reply. Yes, TC, it does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it much more difficult going through a rolling scissors in a plane that doesn't turn or accelerate well. Sometimes I feel as if turning harder and accelerating well enough to get myself back to a good turning speed is all that's needed.

I don't know if I'm approaching maneuvers like the vert. rolling scissors incorrectly now. After all, being a dweebfire pile-it, turning seems to have been a tool that I've abused.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
Late reply. Yes, TC, it does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it much more difficult going through a rolling scissors in a plane that doesn't turn or accelerate well. Sometimes I feel as if turning harder and accelerating well enough to get myself back to a good turning speed is all that's needed.

I don't know if I'm approaching maneuvers like the vert. rolling scissors incorrectly now. After all, being a dweebfire pile-it, turning seems to have been a tool that I've abused.

I am trying to figure out exactly which part, your Yes it does.......... is in regards to, Pappy?

regarding to rolling scissors, I would want to have planes types with better roll rates, verses turning/accelerating ....... if I can roll quicker, I can point my lift vector to where I want it quicker...... I can let the less E burning rolling help me maintain my E, instead of the more E Burning Turning.......

in replying to Gooss' post: the old gauges of Aces high yes I would use the visual of having the ELV trim to where the red tic marker was in-line with the bottom part of the L

E
L _
V

but since the updated cockpit gauges on the F4U's......... I simply trim my HOG to around 325 to 340 IAS these days..... this is about 15 mph faster than the speed I was wanting to be trimmed at back in the old Aces High 1.......

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:25:30 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
regarding to rolling scissors, I would want to have planes types with better roll rates, verses turning/accelerating ....... if I can roll quicker, I can point my lift vector to where I want it quicker...... I can let the less E burning rolling help me maintain my E, instead of the more E Burning Turning.......
According to the Trainers' site write-up of the rolling scissors, isn't it the other way around? I.e., the most important factors in a rolling scissors are turn-rate and climb/acceleration?

Perhaps I'm not visualizing the advantage you're talking about TC. But from my experience, you gain no advantage whether you are offensive or defensive. If you are defensive (in front), faster rolling means you fly through a smaller path and thus create less closure (not what you want). On the other hand, if you are offensive, you are flying lag anyways until you create enough distance so a shot opens up - no need to roll so quickly.

On the other hand, any corrections to this view would help. I like to fly 190s after all so any extra info on how to use that amazing roll rate would help.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
I wasn't speaking specifics, boomerlu

if I can roll quicker, and point my lift vector quicker....that means I can turn quicker........

I withdraw all my other comments from this thread........... all the way back to where I speak opposite of Stran

so many people keep saying SLOW DOWN, Cut Throttle, Work Flaps...for Rolling Scissors

when most of that stuff comes into effect on down the line, on long drawn out Rolling Scissor battles where both you and your opponent are prob equal in skill

.....flying a tighter turn radius ( one can interpet that as better turning sometimes ) is not good, one wants to fly a higher arc ( one can possibly interpet this as a wider turn radius,  not in a literal meaning though ) tighter turn wil put you further along the line than a wider turn. so to speak.......  

I guess people could word things in different ways . both being right  and wrong. depending on the word structure?

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Gotcha TC. Yeah, I'm understanding the rolling scissors correctly then.

if I can roll quicker, and point my lift vector quicker....that means I can turn quicker

Better phrasing might be "that means I can turn sooner"? That capture your meaning?

so many people keep saying SLOW DOWN, Cut Throttle, Work Flaps...for Rolling Scissors

when most of that stuff comes into effect on down the line, on long drawn out Rolling Scissor battles where both you and your opponent are prob equal in skill
Yes, it's not about slowing down in the rolling scissors, it's about traveling the longer distance... which actually means that whoever retains more E will come out on top (literally and figuratively) by climbing higher in the rolling scissor thus forcing his opponent forward.

I guess people could word things in different ways . both being right  and wrong. depending on the word structure?
I think that's what happened. All clear now.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.