Author Topic: New MA terrain W.I.P.: Sandblst  (Read 3259 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: New MA terrain W.I.P.: Sandblst
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
I love the look of the textures Ranger. Maybe have some green areas near rivers and lakes to add variety.

I redid the textures for the old version of my terrain because I could not get the snow capped mountains looking the way I wanted with the standard textures. That isn't a problem with the new terrain system and I was a bit concerned about how big the file size would be, so I didn't bother this time. Craterma is currently about 6000 kb which is at the upper end of the range of current MA terrain sizes. The passages between the islands on my terrain are 9-10 miles wide, which works fine.

A couple of things I noticed looking at the map. I'm pretty sure you don't need to border the edges of the map with land as the CVs can't go off map. Also I'd have suggested working out the field layout first even if just on paper, then building the map around that. The main reason HTC might reject an MA terrain is imbalance and it may be hard to get a balanced layout of fields to match the coastlines you have drawn.

The border around the terrain is temporary just for myself.  There were some spots on the edges where either the water wasn't zero and/or I needed to change the texture, but everytime I get near the edge of the terrain in the TE, I get a MS error/CTD.  So this was just a quick way to fix that and to let me know when I was approaching the edge of the terrain when moving around in the TE.  Editing the .elv & waterd will get rid of the border when I'm ready.  Thanks for the input.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
The border around the terrain is temporary just for myself.  There were some spots on the edges where either the water wasn't zero and/or I needed to change the texture, but everytime I get near the edge of the terrain in the TE, I get a MS error/CTD.  So this was just a quick way to fix that and to let me know when I was approaching the edge of the terrain when moving around in the TE.  Editing the .elv & waterd will get rid of the border when I'm ready.  Thanks for the input.

Hey Ranger, here's an odd thought...

What about taking your "land border" idea a little farther? Widen it a hair more, and make it a series of GV base paths surrounding the map? Could make for some very tight GV battles?
As I said, just a thought. =)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »
I actually did think about that (rimming the terrain with GV bases & maybe a couple ports).  Right now as it is, the "rim" consists of a strip of land at sea level, with the actual barrier behind it that is an almost sheer cliff that levels off at 20k.  I thought it might be a way to keep players "in play", so for those guys that simply must leave the map, they would have to earn it and climb up & over.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Making the rim a gv a thon sounds cool.  Or even include a few small airbases with just d3as/stukas/b5n's/tbms/daunltess's and other aircraft with just pea shooters to make for some unusual air battles/gv support.