Author Topic: Bristol Blenhiem  (Read 664 times)

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
Bristol Blenhiem
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I think it would be nice to have the Blenheim from Bristol, I'm sure it saw combat in WW2  because it was retired from the RAF in '44 I don't know any specifications though
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bristol Blenhiem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
I think it would be nice to have the Blenheim from Bristol, I'm sure it saw combat in WW2  because it was retired from the RAF in '44 I don't know any specifications though
Why?

Sure, it could be added, but there are much better choices for an early war RAF bomber.  Luftwaffe fans often try to equate the Blenheim to the Ju88 or He111, but the fact is that it was not the RAF's equivalent of those.  That would be the Wellington, which would be an excellent addition as an early war bomber that early war fighters could actually catch, yet being durable enough and with a large enough war load as to be worth using.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
overkill

You two are on opposite ends of the information spectrum  :)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:29 AM »
     There was a good reason that blenheims were limited to night raids very quickly after the
war's start.  They got slaughtered during daylight raids.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
Well I dunno, google a little bit?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »
Hey if he can do it, can I start wishing for the same things we stopped wishing for last year?
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
:rofl
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
You forgot to emphasize the funny part.........

:rofl
I'm sure it saw combat in WW2  
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
ok bad post got it
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »

As much as I love my 2nd homeland the Blenhiem was junk.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:51:48 AM »
Sure, it could be added, but there are much better choices for an early war RAF bomber.  Luftwaffe fans often try to equate the Blenheim to the Ju88 or He111, but the fact is that it was not the RAF's equivalent of those.  That would be the Wellington, which would be an excellent addition as an early war bomber that early war fighters could actually catch, yet being durable enough and with a large enough war load as to be worth using.

indeed, the Blenheim much like the Hampden would not be very competitive even in EW scenarios. the Beaufort might be interesting, but the upcoming (:pray) Beaufighter will be more versatile.

the Buckingham would be a useful and interesting addition (340mph, 2000fpm, 4000lb ords, 4x front, 4x dorsal and 2x ventral .303s) but was produced in very limited numbers :(

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
the Buckingham would be a useful and interesting addition (340mph, 2000fpm, 4000lb ords, 4x front, 4x dorsal and 2x ventral .303s) but was produced in very limited numbers :(

(Image removed from quote.)

That would be a horrible addition from a gameplay standpoint.  What is needed is a historically significant early war Allied bomber that carries a useful warload while still being slow enough to be caught by early Axis fighters.  Ideally it would also be tough enough to absorb a lot of damage and have some defensive guns, capable of at least threatening early war Axis fighters.

Fortunately the United Kingdom produced exactly such a bomber in the Vickers Wellington.  The Wellington B.Mk III had a top speed of about 250mph, carried 4,500lbs of bombs, was extremely resilient to damage and had a quad .303 turret in the tail, a twin .303 turret in the nose, one .303 in each waist position and the Wellington had a total production of over 11,000.  These traits make the Wellington the best early war Allied bomber to be added.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
I meant the Buckingham was an interesting Brit Med bomber, since the thread is about Bristol bombers, and would be capable enough to see use in the LW MA (although probably not eligible for inclusion anyway.)

The Wellington would be a great addition, and pretty high on the list too as we only have one Brit bomber (although it is a goodun :aok)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli