Author Topic: Vlas' recipe for historical flying in the WWI Arena  (Read 990 times)

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
Vlas' recipe for historical flying in the WWI Arena
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Trim: after take off, reach a speed and attitude at which you would like to have hands off operation.  Hit shift-x to rig the aircraft.  Disengage auto-pilot.  Don't touch trim for the rest of the flight.  In the F2b, I generally rig for hands off at 130 MPH in a shallow dive if headed for low altitude fighter mission, or to about a 80 MPH shallow climb if headed for a high alt patrol or photo recon mission.

Icons: I set my icons to size 10.  Enemy forrest green, friendly turquoise.  The eye is supplemented, but you still have to work at spotting and identifying cons, especially if they are below you.

Voice Comms: I turn down the voice volume completely.  It can be kind of freaky, since when someone uses voice, other sounds seem to cut out, so I sometimes think my engine has died.  But a mechanical scare in the air once in a while is not entirely unrealistic :)

Missions profiles:

Fighter: When at the Furball, I stay near the edges and focus on clearing the tail of friendly pilots who extend and are pursued.  
Recon: I pick a field or landmark to photograph. I climb to between 7 and 10k, overfly the target and take screenshots. I then RTB and land.  Surprisingly, both my photo recons so far have been opposed by co-alt fighters.  Very tense pursuits.
Front patrol: I climb to 7-10k and head for one of the ends of the front (SW or NE) and fly from one end to the other repeatedly.  Again, all my front patrols have been opposed.  On one flight, I encountered an enemy observer at about 8k and tried to keep him on his side of the lines.  This resulted in a quite intense running fight, and eventually a dogfight.  On another, I was at 16k for testing purposes and encountered a high triplane.  After a 20 minute chase, we started the fight at 18k and he eventually disengaged and dived for his field.

Vlas

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Re: Vlas' recipe for historical flying in the WWI Arena
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
Interesting approach. I'd bet that would be pretty "historical" with the amount of planes that would take the time to come up and meet you. Reading your mission profiles remind me of stories from WWI flyers in books I have read.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »
16k and 18k?!?

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35:23 AM »
that IS historic  :old: :O

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:37:51 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
A couple more:

Turn off engine governor
Turn off tracers

I think we're getting somewhere.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »
Cool, sounds fun.  It'd be cool if others would post their ideas if they have scenarios that they fly like this.   I'll ponder a bit and see if I can come up with a couple.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
Nice one, Vlas.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »
I like to try and get some people to fly together as a wing (in the same plane), and sometimes, someone else has the same idea, and we collide as a massive force and have a super-crazy 4-on-4. Of course, we fly in vic formation, though the finger four does have its advantages. Historic formations, if I remember correctly include vic, echelons, lines, swarms, and delta.

Honestly, the delta looks the coolest, especially when no one is on autopilot.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »
Be sure to crank the wind sound, and your engine sound to max, and set the external engine sound way down. Also, be sure to have a stall buffet sound file that's more of a low rumble, then a horn or buzzer.

I built my own trim setup so I just set it at the marks for each plane prior to take off. It makes the low speed handling much more interesting (and historically accurate).

<S> Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
Enker,  I plan to put together a historical squad (No 11 RFC) to fly gunned brisfits in formation.  See you up there :)

Baumer, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them. Where do you see the trim indicators?  I'd love to be able to set trim before take off.  And yes, it does make landings, especially damaged landings, much more interesting.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »
Miska, I don't think there are any trim indicators in the ww1 planes. I put pencil marks next to my trim wheels for reference, but not everyone has a setup like I do.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
sounds like I need to go shopping :)