Author Topic: Is there a tutorial for the latest version?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Is there a tutorial for the latest version?
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
I would like to start learning how to create maps now for a large project in the future.

Where can I find the best instructions to begin the learning process?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Is there a tutorial for the latest version?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Good start.

Thanks.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »
LOL...I should have checked here first Jimson...could it be we're having some of the same ideas?

Guess I better study those tutorials so I can jump into this.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
Give it a go.  If you get stuck on something, just pot here.  You usually will get an answer the same day. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
The biggest hurdle mentally is understanding that TE shapes in the graphic sense are not game objects in the typical intuitive sense...

An example is that you select an airplane shape such as 109g14...you can designate to be an airfield..

I am not certain how the game would respond to that...but the fact is the TE lets you do that...

Understanding the difference between shapes and objects mentally is more than half the battle...

One would normally conclude that if you add an airfield to a terrain...that you get an airfield...NO..you get something that looks like an airfield...unless and until you tell the TE that that thing you just stuck on the map is and Airfield Object...its nothing but a collection of 3D points in space that the game will skin and make look like an airfield...

You wont be able to up from it...you won't be able to bomb it...the game has no idea about it until it is designated as an object type of airfield...in TE and then compiled into the res file that is a Terrain

Oneway

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:52:33 PM by oneway »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
The biggest hurdle mentally is understanding that TE shapes in the graphic sense are not game objects in the typical intuitive sense...

An example is that you select an airplane shape such as 109g14...you can designate to be an airfield..

I am not certain how the game would respond to that...but the fact is the TE lets you do that...

Understanding the difference between shapes and objects mentally is more than half the battle...

One would normally conclude that if you add an airfield to a terrain...that you get an airfield...NO..you get something that looks like an airfield...unless and until you tell the TE that that thing you just stuck on the map is and Airfield Object...its nothing but a collection of 3D points in space that the game will skin and make look like an airfield...

You wont be able to up from it...you won't be able to bomb it...the game has no idea about it until it is designated as an object type of airfield...in TE and then compiled into the res file that is a Terrain

Oneway
:O  :eek: Ok, now I'm skeert.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
:O  :eek: Ok, now I'm skeert.

Don't be, just follow midi's tutorial and you'll be fine. Once you've done it, it's logic will become clear. Keep those notes he recommends, so you don't have to re-read the whole thing for a particular detail the next time you want to build a terrain.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
I have started playing around with the TE and I think I have things somewhat under control. After following the tutorial I was able to create a "Down and Dirty" terrain exactly the way the tutorial describes with a working clipboard map.

The problem comes in when I try to use the laptop to do the exact same thing. When I create the map all I get is a black map. It shows the airfield, town, and HQ but no land and no water only black.

Now the major difference between my desktop computer and laptop is the laptop is Vista and the desktop is XP. Most of the time that I would have available to play around with the TE will be when my laptop is the only computer available to me, so I would love to be able to get things working on here.

Anyone else have issues with this or know of any solutions?
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
I think I may have figured out my problem.

The saving that is mentioned over and over again in the tutorial is not just for the sake of not loosing info but a necessary step after each and every thing that is added as it is added. Another part of my problem was that I did not have grid lines checked in windows options before making the map.

My next question is do you have to save after adding each airfield or other object one at a time or can you add multiples of the same before saving?
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
You don't have to save after adding each airfield, I just suggest saving quite often in the building process in the event
something happens. Computer crashes, power goes out, the TE crashes and so on.

I just get in the habit when building larger terrains (100+ airfields and such) of saving after I add 5 - 10 fields just in case.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
If you’re getting a black CBM, it’s because your CBM wasn’t converted to 256 color, it was RGB. You probably remembered that step after you rebuilt it with the grid lines checked, which is the real reason it worked.

I would never tell you not to save between each add, but unless you change modes (the road tab etc) you can add as much work as you are willing to risk between saves. Just be sure to save and reopen the terrain BEFORE AND AFTER you change modes OR try to build it. In the previous version(s), some of the necessary files weren’t built unless you saved, and it crashed the TE when it went to use them.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
I think he is talking about when he uses the " Make Map" part to create the CBM easyscor.

If the "Show Grid" box is not checked he will get an all black terrain with just the icons on it. That's one  of the ways
I get just the icons for my strat maps and custom CBM.

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »
I think he is talking about when he uses the " Make Map" part to create the CBM easyscor.

If the "Show Grid" box is not checked he will get an all black terrain with just the icons on it. That's one  of the ways
I get just the icons for my strat maps and custom CBM.

midi

That is exactly what happened to me. It took me awhile to figure it out but haven't had a problem since.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave