Author Topic: PT Boat engine damage  (Read 615 times)

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
PT Boat engine damage
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:52 AM »
had been hit from a tank while in a PT boat, damages list reported only "engine 3"  but all the engines werent running and the pt boat stopped. I think it has to be fixed as   (as far as I remember PT has 3 engines doesnt it?)
engine 1
engine 2
engine 3
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: PT Boat engine damage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
I wanted to throw this in there too.....Dutchman and I were PTing and his PT boat was destroyed in 1 pass by a Spit 1....that seems a bit soft to me and I believe it shocked him as well.  The ease of damaging a PT boat may need to be looked at a bit.  I don't remember it being that easy.

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
the deck of a PT boat is wooden and that spit 1 with the conversion at the right place could  very easlily destroy a PT
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
With 303's in one, short pass where the dive constantly changes the convergence point?  ummmm..........you'll have to sell me a bit more on that.  If the convergence point were stable, as in a fixed position, ok.........but moving closer to the target at a rate of 280 kts+ in a dive? 

V/r

Changeup

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »
That happened when i hit land, all 3 of my engines were out but nothing showed on the damage list.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
With the "pilot" all out in the open at the helm, is it possible that it was a pilot kill?

I've been single pinged killed by a Spit I in a 109E, it was a clean shot on my cockpit. I suspect the same is possible on a PT Boat, but it's worth asking.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
I saw him explode....I was off his port side at about half a K.   It blew up.

Changeup

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
Let's see... unarmored wooden boat, any gun in the game could riddle it....

Vs a spitfire with 8 rapid-fire .303 caliber MGs making mincmeat of the entirely exposed deck crew...

Be thankful he didn't get you both in 1 pass.

These PT boats were literally just waiting to be sunk. They were made of light weight wood and had no metal armor or anything. Think of them as the mosquitos of boats.

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
the hull and some parts if u notice are metal
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
Nope... totally wooden construction. Doesn't matter what they "look like" on the in-game model, what they actually ARE is the important thing.

EDIT: Here's the fine print:

"The Elco and Higgins companies both used lightweight techniques of hull construction which included two layers of double diagonal mahogany planking utilizing a glue impregnated cloth layer between inner and outer planks. These planks were held together by thousands of copper rivets and bronze screws."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:25:45 PM by Krusty »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
yeah theres definitely something screwy with the damage on PT boats...

yesterday I got strafed by a hog in one, smoked the engine compartment. engine gauges all show 0, but damage says all ok. throttle still worked and powering along at 40kts :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
how long did u wait for the boat to stop?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
5-10mins. i even killed throttle and engine, stopped and then started off again.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli