Author Topic: Motivated  (Read 1239 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Motivated
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
Ever since mrmiddi made his tutorial I have been motivated to try my hand at building a terrain suitable for MA use. I have actually started one and have the basic idea of what I wanted built and I wish to share what I have done so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yzmzglnddln/lake2.res

For those don't know just save file to your ahiiterr in your Aces High folder.

I do have some small changes to elevation and none of the bases are actually in their finished locations but are only placed for the purposes of being able to up from several places on the map. The CBM also needs some tweeking but for the most part I think I have it where I want it.

All opinions very welcome and wanted.

I do have a few questions for the experienced builders.

1) Is there a limit to the number of SB that can be placed around a base? I know it is pretty typical to have 2 but there are some places I would like to have 3 and a few maybe 4.

2) Since the snow/coral terrain is on the TE is it allowed and why hasn't anyone used to this point on a MA terrain?

3) Can bridges be placed over rivers on a MA terrains? I found the bridge objects and even placed them on my terrain and when tested I could actually drive over the river in an M8. I am actually thinking of placing them in mine at a few locations with v-bases on each end. If they are allowed what settings do they get (Group Master, field ownership, etc.)?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:22:33 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Motivated
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
1 Shore batteries: The arden08 terrain has 5 at many V-bases.
2 snow/coral: Don't know why they aren't used, but it will increase the terrain size.
3 bridges: Can't say if they're allowed in an MA or not. Set as barrier, and ownership to nearest convenient base.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
How would using the snow/coral texture increase file size Easy?  It's just another of the default textures. Could you clarify please?

dk, if you ever want to make a winter terrain, let me know.  I have a plethora of winter textures (every environment actually).  These custom textures will increase your file size, but look much better than just using the default.  I wouldn't recommend them for an MA terrain (though custom terrain textures are allowed) because of file size, but for an SEA/AvA or personal use terrain, they work great.

Welcome to terrain making.  It can be quite an addicting hobby. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
Congrats  :aok  Tried Lake2 terrain ... looks good  ... np with anything in
the terrain .. u r doing well  :cheers:   :salute

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
I was probably thinking of color, but I can't remember what it was that causes the huge increase in file size atm.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
Several things can cause huge terrain file sizes.
The most common causes seem to be custom terrain textures, lots of water color changes, or unneeded terrain tiles under deep ocean portions
of the terrain.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Yeah, but I believe dk was referring to the default snow/coral texture, which, as a default texture, should not affect file size anymore than using grass, rock, ect. Correct?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the offer about the winter textures Ranger. I will keep that in mind if they ever get the user spawned arenas up and running and if we are able to still use created terrains for those.

I was indeed referring to the default snow/coral texture.

Thanks again for the replies I have sent HT an email to see if there is any reason I can't use bridges and the snow/coral terrain.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »
Yeah, but I believe dk was referring to the default snow/coral texture, which, as a default texture, should not affect file size anymore than using grass, rock, ect. Correct?

Correct...the default snow/coral "shouldn't" increase the size as they are default...
I was just mentioning some of the things that will increase the size... "Custom Terrain Textures" absolutely will.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
I have received an official word from HTC via email regarding the questions I had for bridges and the snow covered terrain.

This was the answer given for snow.

Snow is now done using the terrain blending options.  Some of the main arena terrains do have snow capped mountains.  However, we cannot put a snow covered terrain in the main arena.  It would be too harsh on players eyes and we do not have a full compliment of winter skins for all the planes and vehicles.

and simply put bridges are completely ok to use in terrains

Just thought I would let everyone else know in case any of you are interested.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »
Aren't you finished yet?  Having three jobs is no excuse for not getting a map done.

Get on with it slackey.  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JonDoe999

• Copper Member
      • YouTube - EpicAces's Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
Big fan of snow terrains

(I would create one but my damn terrain editor went screwy and I can't draw the terrain. Screw you Obi-Wan!!!)
I ate so much sugar Hallowen night, I gave myself diabetes and gave everyone related to me second- hand diabetes.

:-)

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
too harsh on players eyes? Just put on some shades  :rofl