Author Topic: P 38 wish  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: P 38 wish
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
My comment is geared to the reality that the F7F could have been in service in the ETO replacing the P-38/P-47 before the P-51D ever arrived...
Ok, then lets limit it to the Fury.  The Fury could have been at the same time as the Tempest and had markedly higher performance and reliability.  The Fury was the basis of the Sea Fury, which as I recall was the last front line piston fighter in British service.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
The 1st fury prototype flew in 9/44. Leaving that aside nothing I've read anywhere indicates it would have the remotest chance vs an F7F or its versatility. It's got shorter legs, lower max altitude and based on what I can find much worse overall handling. I'd love to see a comparison of hornet and fury given that the hornet is a much more equivalent design.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
It's really hard to use nothing but test pilot's subjective opinions to declare a plane to be completely superior to every other plane.

No doubt the F7F had the potential to be a great plane. But unrealized potential is just that, and there's no way to see if it could have been realized, or how much there was.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe