Author Topic: USB Gaming devices  (Read 704 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
USB Gaming devices
« on: August 20, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
Alright!  Since I know many of you have been using the USB flight control gear for a little while now, how do you like it and why??

Does it provide better stability?  Is it 'smoother'?  

I am thinking about upgrading but if the advantages are not there, then I will stick with the conventional method.   :)

Come on, give me reasons to spend alot of money!!!    :)

Thanks for all your inputs!

Swager
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2001, 02:31:00 PM »
USB=no spikes has been my experience. Very reliable.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
Smooth response times, no need to recalibrate/calibrate in the first place, easy to setup (plug n play at it's finest), very fine movements, no spiking at all- ever (had a X36/X35 combo for over a year now.. only hat went bad. Had to l33t |-|4><0r my finger rudder thing by removing the spring and adding vaseline to the track to keep it moving smooth, but have to recenter by visually watching slip indicator)..

Anyways, for the 100$ I spent on that combo, it's been bringing me thousands of hours of MechWarrior3&4, Aces High, B17-2 and Descent3 for over a year and a half.

Worth it? More so than any CH toejam I've had before.
-SW

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
Swag, I highly suggest checking out Saitek X36 combo 'refurbished units' at their website, best dang bang for USB buck currently out there. ($39.00 for both!) Easy to program, great HOTAS IMO.

And I agree with the above posters.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2001, 08:16:00 PM »
Yes USB gear is very good , well worth the extra money spent on it .

----------------------------------------
Saitek , at CompUSA for 100 bucks , 5 for warranty for one year .

5 months later the 7 position on #1 hat goes bad . Take back , get new one free . For 9.95 get new warranty for one year ( from the date of me taking the wore out one back ) did this Saturday .

I NEVER buy warranty's on electronics , but with this stick IMO it's well worth it .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2001, 09:29:00 PM »
X36 combo with CH pro peds - both USB
best bang for your buck
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2001, 10:09:00 PM »
Cool!!  Thanks guys!!   :)
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
I had a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Digital USB that developed spiking problems after a month.  So, the possibity is there.

I've not had problems with the MS PPro2 spiking.  It only has to hold on until December when TM release the Cougar HOTAS system.

AKDejaVu

Offline max621

• Zinc Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
AK I currently have a wingman extreme and I have horrible spiking on my twist rudder, not to mention its always twisted left in the software for some reason, no cali. will fix it. So... no more Logitech for me, getting credit from BestBuy for something different.

I've been considering the new X-45 HOTAS, becuase I don't have lots of money to spend (I'm not a hardcore simmer  ;)....
any word on the X-45? (Saitek)

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
USB Gaming devices
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2001, 08:24:00 AM »
Naturally, I agree with the posts above concerning the good points of USB. It is the only way to go, and you will never go back.

However, take this from the guy who wrote and posted all those Saitek x36 Aces High Profiles, unless your broke stay away from Saitek. The Saitek software is very poorly written, and if run the way they set it up it will take up valuable resources on your computer. Their product support is lacking. In fact you'll even find that RonHunt, the guy who provided that Saitek support web site for years, has given up on Saitek as well.

I would strongly recommend you purchase the new CH USB gear from throttle, to stick, to pedals. The equipment is top line, the programming is excellent and does not take up resources, and the support is always excellent at CH.

If you don't have the coins, Saitek is the cheapest. If you can afford it, CH is the only way to go.

Take it from the guy who has had both, and I'll be glad to send you my CH map to get you started if you need it.

Ranger Bob