Author Topic: WW1 is great fun why?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Re: WW1 is great fun why?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 02:37:32 AM »
If you split those two ww1 arenas up between Governor enabled and Governor disabled which arena do you think the current crop of ww one'rs would flock to?  

I flew with the governor off from the very start, because it was the manly thing to do......but after a few weeks of getting looped and dived into oblivion by Dr1s seemingly impervious to the restraints I was voluntarily holding myself to I gave up and went with engine reduced/no failure mode, which is what the engine governor really is.  I would prefer if it were disabled permanently but that isn't going to happen.

Well you are right about where they would fly if you split the arena's that way but I say just take it out of the game as an option and then we would soon see a different plane take the forefront.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline SC-ASP

• Zinc Member
      • WW1 Sims Officers Club
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
Hiya Guys

The things i love about the WW1 combats are low and slow dogfights, not the speed pass where 1 or 2 shells takes a wing off, one where you must get in behind close and follow a plane for 10 - 20, maybe 30 seconds before you can kill it, i pretty much fly a Camel exclusively and think i can hold my own in it with most planes, however i have a hell of a time trying to beat a seasoned pilot in a DR1, i have no problem with that in a turn fight, my problem is that i cannot extend and get out of the fight, the DR1 can follow, i dont think it should be able to keep up, especially in a dive, thier upper wing had a tendancy to fail and they were quite a bit slower than any other plane, they could from what i understand turn very well without tipping the wings on thier side due to the large rudder, but i also believe if the plane was tipped on its side in a circle turn it had a tendacy to auger,

we do need more numbers in the WW1 arenas, but thats up to the pilots, just log in, stay  for awhile and hope more show up,
i think because of the lower numbers the 3 country thing is a waist of time, should just be 2 sides

WW1 , low and slow doghfight are the best for actual flying and turning, i hope they make some adjustments to the Dr1 and also add more planes,
however with only a few of us logging in im not sure they will invest the time...
so come on in and joint the fun, dont worry about stats and getting killed alot, thats what it takes to get better at it

this is just in my humble opinion and in no way are they ment to be used as facts in an argument
Have Fun Simmers, i would love to see 20 aside, only we can make that happen

SC-ASP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
I have used all four rides extensively and offer the following observation about structural failure:

1) The F2B will fail EASILY during high stress maneovers.
2) The F1 and DVII will fail MODERATELY during high stress manoevers.
3) The Dr1 will RARELY fail during high stress maneovers.

I think I might have shed half a wing on a Dr1 perhaps...twice.  With the Engine governor turned ON the Dr1 is aerobatic trick killer.  Last night I was able to kill three F1s simply by forcing them to maneover so severely that they shed wings and augered.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »
Yeager, Asp, Big Jim et al:

Have been flying the F2B and camel some, particularly since following this thread.

Like some of the rest of us, have flown in a number of WWI sims. The comparative fm's generally dictate the choice of ride when you want to fight tough pilots straight up.  One thing common of the DR in all these sims, even if it was not the best "flying" fm, is the stability of the plane as a gun platform.  In each of the sims at the point you were shooting at someone, you could make the DR more quickly stable (than the other fm's) in order to aim.  Since, certainly only in my opinion, this is common between the various sims; it could well have been a real life thing.  It seems - it's possible - the DR was a better gun platform, all other things ignored.

But...also true, in each of these sims there was a plane that could outfly the DR such that the DR could not quickly score a kill unless the pilot of the other plane tried to fight the DR within the context of the DR's strengths...knife fight in a phone booth.  Flat turns on the deck...etc...the DR is going to win that fight.  I'd guess most pilots in real life tried to stay out of those fights.  The DR could truly switch ends...that crazy instant 180 turn thing is real.  The real consideration is to stay out of a situation where those classic DR moves reduce your ride to a pile of broken spars and ripped fabric.

Short of it, can make a good fight with the DR in a camel, but I (not sure if that is true of everyone) can't shoot as well from a camel.  As simple as that.

Take care and keep messing with these old crates...and then maybe we will get some new ones.

<S> all!

One

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
I quit playing once the 5k pickers started showing up last time I upped I had six different guys bnzing.  see enough of that in the ma.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
..... I had six different guys bnzing. 

Semp

I love when they do that. YeeHaww!     :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
I quit playing once the 5k pickers started showing up last time I upped I had six different guys bnzing.  Semp
We should hook up and do some winging in there Semp.  My only regret is that we do not have the SE5a to do it with.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
I quit playing once the 5k pickers started showing up last time I upped I had six different guys bnzing.  see enough of that in the ma.

Semp

I love it when they come in high. Just bait them to come down. in 10% of the cases they will shed their wings. In 60% you will be in equal E state after 2 turns and have a good fight. In 20% you will have big trouble with them and in 10% your dead.

Seems like the odds for a good fight are in my favour  :devil

The Few GFC

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »
Iwlf and Onerka? Now there's a brace of great flyers from the DoA days of yore. I might have rejoined the WW1 fray, but the Biff's still modelled as a five-stone weakling, there's no SE5a and no purpose to the whole sim other than furballing, so . . .

[waves and departs]

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 01:34:36 AM »
Iwlf and Onerka? Now there's a brace of great flyers from the DoA days of yore. I might have rejoined the WW1 fray, but the Biff's still modelled as a five-stone weakling, there's no SE5a and no purpose to the whole sim other than furballing, so . . .

[waves and departs]

:cool:

Patience my good man Patience, the boys at HTC have alot on their plate at the moment but WWI I am sure will be revisited one of these days :rock
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
Has anyone else noticed a hyper tendency for the F1 to shed wings at the first sign of gravity?  Ive lost more F1s to CMWL (combat maneuvering wing loss) than to enemy bullets.  Even the F2B is holding up better.  Maybe my stick is spiking but its digital...I dunno.  Also, getting LOTS of stick stirring warnings even when I'm rocking the boat gently.....that alone has put me into the ground a dozen times.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:57:51 AM by Yeager »

Offline Otaz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
The WWI set is what brought me back to AH after nearly 4 years....now if I could just spend more time on those servers rather than the MAs. LOL :P

Zellys
VF-17  "Jolly Rogers"

Offline SC-ASP

• Zinc Member
      • WW1 Sims Officers Club
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
Hi

Also, getting LOTS of stick stirring warnings even when I'm rocking the boat gently.....that alone has put me into the ground a dozen times.

i used the deadband settings in the map controlers section to get rid of this, i just kept playing with the slider until i could jiggle my stick all around the center without the actual line moving, then that message went away

SC-ASP

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
Has anyone else noticed a hyper tendency for the F1 to shed wings at the first sign of gravity?  Ive lost more F1s to CMWL (combat maneuvering wing loss) than to enemy bullets.  Even the F2B is holding up better.  Maybe my stick is spiking but its digital...I dunno.  Also, getting LOTS of stick stirring warnings even when I'm rocking the boat gently.....that alone has put me into the ground a dozen times.

Yeager,I noticed that I was getting the stick stirring message lastnite aswell! I normally never see that message and thought something was wrong.What I noticed was the roll axis inputs were oversensitive and a little deadpan seemed to help,then I added just alittle dampening to both the roll and pitch axis and it seemed to stop the stick stirring message.

Of course it could have been pilot error all along and as usual YMMV!

:salute

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
...I think maybe if Hitech removed the option for engine governors you see a change in the number if DR1's being flown.

Now that is an interesting feature.

Wonder when the first scenarios, or WW1 Races will be held?
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/