Author Topic: Hardening windows vista / 7  (Read 258 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Hardening windows vista / 7
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »
I stumbled into a blog post about simple yet effective ways to improve windows security:

http://bulletproof-windows.blogspot.com/

Things like sandboxing and data execution prevention can really save the day in addition to running your user in standard user instead of administrator. Please be aware that using the instructions you CAN mess up and render your computer non-working.

This happens very easy if you degrade your user to standard user before you create another administrator account. Do NOT do it without creating a separate admin account first. You have been warned!

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hardening windows vista / 7
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
Nice find Ripley.  :aok

There is already a built in Administrator account that since Win2000 does not have a password set, although most people don't know how to get to it. Doesn't show up under the user accounts settings in the control panel. It was used in previous versions of Windows as a back door for malicious file execution and hacking since a majority of home users weren't generally aware of the account existing, and the account name is always Administrator. I generally put a password on the account and rename it to something I can remember without having the word Admin in it at all. It's also a good practice to create at least one other full administrator account that can be used for emergency purposes.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Hardening windows vista / 7
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
I discovered that "hidden" administrator account in safe mode. Certainly came in useful when one of my friends had his user accounts hijacked.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.