Author Topic: IL2 Lethality  (Read 915 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
IL2 Lethality
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
Is it just me or has the IL2 suddenly gotten more lethal. After hundreds of base takes and getting tracked many times in my T34/85 by IL2's the worst they have ever done is turret or track me. Tonight in pink arena we were trying to take a town and IL2's were killing tanks with only a few rounds from their main guns. It was an IL2 slaughter! Again, I usually get turreted or tracked by IL2's never outright killed.. Maybe they were some excellent pilots.. Just curious if anyone else notices that they are more lethal now...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:40:52 AM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: IL2 Lethality
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
Nothing was changed as far as damage models, flight models, etc.  Only the frontal armor on the turrets of the T34's and the prop pitches were changed on an engine on the Ju88 and B26.  Otherwise, there might have been a bug that snuck in with the changes, but I played cat and mouse vs an Il-2 while in a T34/76mm when I was in a town trying to learn the new layout from teh gournd.  I took numerous hits and kept on truckin', so I did not notice any differences in Il-2 lethality.  Perhaps the Il-2 pilots were just crack shots?   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
Although the T-34s are more challenging than most tanks, they have always been vulnerable to the IL-2 37mm gun package.  Chances are until now you've just been lucky to avoid anyone accurate enough to pop you.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
I've seen guys kill tigers with Il-2's with relative ease. The T-34 would pose no problem for an Il-2.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »
I've seen guys kill tigers with Il-2's with relative ease. The T-34 would pose no problem for an Il-2.
IIRC, T-34's deck armor is as thick or thicker than the Tiger I's, thus being as hard or harder for an Il-2 to kill.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
IIRC, T-34's deck armor is as thick or thicker than the Tiger I's, thus being as hard or harder for an Il-2 to kill.
I think the hull and turret tops are 20mm on the T-34s vs. 25mm on the Tiger, so armor would go to Tiger.  The difference is the Tiger is essentially a big rectangular box, so there is a lot of area to hit and penetrate.  Look straight down at it, and it is virtually all "top".  Due to the slope of the armor on the T-34s, the area that qualifies as "top" and not "side" or "front" is much smaller and more difficult to hit.  Look straight down at it, and probably half the area you are aiming at (around the "edges" if you will) is actually sloped side armor.  Couple that with the fact the T-34 is already smaller than the Tiger, and I believe it is the size of the target that makes a bigger difference vs. armor.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
I have no problem killing any tanks in an Il-2, I have killed about 5 or 6 tiger in one pass, you just have to know where to shoot :)
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
I have no problem killing any tanks in an Il-2, I have killed about 5 or 6 tiger in one pass, you just have to know where to shoot :)

It must have been you have the IL2 kill fest in Pink Arena last night...  :aok :aok I never seen two IL2 kill so many tanks as I did last night...

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
haha no unfortunatly it wasnt me, I miss all the big vh battles, but there is one spot thats the same on every tank that you can shoot with the 37mm's and get a kill on the first pass
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:02 AM »
Yup, hit um right and tigers, t34s and all the rest of um cross right over to tower world  :D

that is all,

froger
frogs are people too

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
Nothing was changed as far as damage models, flight models, etc.  Only the frontal armor on the turrets of the T34's and the prop pitches were changed on an engine on the Ju88 and B26.  Otherwise, there might have been a bug that snuck in with the changes, but I played cat and mouse vs an Il-2 while in a T34/76mm when I was in a town trying to learn the new layout from teh gournd.  I took numerous hits and kept on truckin', so I did not notice any differences in Il-2 lethality.  Perhaps the Il-2 pilots were just crack shots?   

Loon nothing was changed with the flight modeling of the ju88 and the b26 or any plane. Only the artwork was changed to show the props correctly.

HiTech