Author Topic: ?'s on the new miles sound system.  (Read 1634 times)

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Re: ?'s on the new miles sound system.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
Actually, in most flight simulators (ie MS Flight simulator 10) use stereo engine sounds when in the cockpit but use mono sounds when externally viewing the plane.  I have lots of planes for FS10 that does this.  This is the reason I also asked if they are going to try this.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »
16bit 44k is approved for use

I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with 22Khz 8-bit mono for my next pack release.  People with lower end PCs have a hard enough time with custom sounds as it is, plus the size of the pack (in Mb) would be just crazy with 44Khz 16-bit sounds.  The tried & true 8-bit work very well for this game, so IMO I see no reason to change it.  The quality increase is minimal & not worth the file size increase IMO.  :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 04:56:17 AM »
That maybe the best thing to do USRanger, at least for now till they work out all the bugs.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »
Question for Dogg and/or Ranger ...

I took my engine sounds for the FM2 and F6-F and loaded them into Windows Sound Recorder and "increased" the volume, but I really didn't notice any difference in the game.

Is Sound Recorder the wrong tool ? ... I did download Audacity and tried the same thing there but still didn't see any real difference.

What is your findings ? ... you guys obviously must be using something better than the tools I have.

Any tips ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:57 AM »
well slapshot, it depends.  If u used my engine sound, u probably will not be able to increase it much more on the account that I have them alrdy peaked to -1 to 0 DB.  Any more increase and it will start to distort or the sound card won't play it any louder.  Other problem could be u are not doing it right (no offence intended).  I use Adobe Auditions pro 3.0 do create my sounds.  In there its very easy to lower or raise the volume.  As far as the windows recorder, I have never used it so I can't tell yea if it would work or not. 

To be honest, I would wait to modify any sounds till HTC gets things worked out.  If you do decide to modify sounds, I strongly suggest make a backup of the original sounds first.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
Thanks Dogg ... Oh I have backups of the backups.

You're right ... not sure if it is your sounds or from the other soundpacks (I use a mix bag from all soundpacks), but when I increased the sound, it didn't sound louder but did sound distorted.

I just wanted to tweak a couple of sounds to use until HTC gets it squared away. The sound I miss most is my flaps sound. As discussed in another thread, I didn't realize how important certain sounds (and their cues) were so important to the way I fly. What appeared, at first, to be something wrong with the flight model boiled down to me not hearing the sounds that I got use to when reaching or trying to reach certain limits during a dogfight.

Thanks for the reply.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
The sound I miss most is my flaps sound. As discussed in another thread, I didn't realize how important certain sounds (and their cues) were so important to the way I fly. What appeared, at first, to be something wrong with the flight model boiled down to me not hearing the sounds that I got use to when reaching or trying to reach certain limits during a dogfight.

I'm having these exact problems. Not being able to hear the stress, wind, flaps, gear, etc.. is really screwin' with me..

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Will the new sound system allow different sounds for external and internal sounds?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 12:43:15 PM »
It's been said that the new sound system is so that we may have more sounds. I'm curious as to what other sounds do we need.

At this time the new system is not supporting the sounds we already have (supposedly the makers of the software says it can) and we have little control on them.

It has also been said that the new setup is better for new folks. I think using the old systems sliders is much easier than pulling up sound files in a recorder to manipulate them as the new system requires.

Enquireing minds want to know.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
It's been said that the new sound system is so that we may have more sounds. I'm curious as to what other sounds do we need.

At this time the new system is not supporting the sounds we already have (supposedly the makers of the software says it can) and we have little control on them.

It has also been said that the new setup is better for new folks. I think using the old systems sliders is much easier than pulling up sound files in a recorder to manipulate them as the new system requires.

Enquireing minds want to know.  :D

Yes!  Yes!  To Obi-Wan you listen!
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
It's for all the WWI sounds they are going to add Shuffler, we KNEW you would want to support that  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
It's for all the WWI sounds they are going to add Shuffler, we KNEW you would want to support that  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

lol didn't they remove that? Only says 0 there these days.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Naw we are getting more and more, most times I fly there are 5-8 and many time 10-14 and growing if we get just alittle HTC attention it will grow even  more :rock
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot