Author Topic: Aug 7th & 8th, 2010 - NB Ventura County (CA) Airshow  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Aug 7th & 8th, 2010 - NB Ventura County (CA) Airshow
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:17:11 PM »
Apologies for the short notice, been so busy for me these past weeks I don't even know if I still have a pulse, sorry to those that may of gotten this word too late.  (Also sorry about the slow loading, "certificate errored" official airshow poster images and website, it's safe content and it will have to do on short notice and my short time, but if you got a problem with it anyways go take it up with the US Navy, not me.)  

This weekend, August 7th & 8th from 8am to 4pm at Naval Air Station Point Magu will be the Naval Base Ventura County Airshow.  This is one of my favorites, and that's without taking into consideration the short drive time, ocean breeze and beach weather (to those who have never been, a picture is worth a thousand words, see below).

Links:
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Ventura
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Ventura/Recreation/2010AirShow/index.htm

I'm planning to be there all day Saturday, I hope this post brings in some more aviation fans into the crowd.  Note the Navy's Blue Angels will not be performing (they got an airshow to do in Seattle), but the US Air Force Thunder Birds and their F-16s will be there to put on a great show!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:23:07 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aug 7th & 8th, 2010 - NB Ventura County (CA) Airshow
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »
Thats near port Hueneme.  Son-in-law (with Daughter) stationed out of there.  Wish I could be there sounds like a great time!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Thats near port Hueneme.  Son-in-law (with Daughter) stationed out of there.  Wish I could be there sounds like a great time!

Second buisiest (I think still) commercial and military port on the West Coast, I know it well, I was born and first lived in Silver Strand (the small sliver of coast between Hueneme and Channel Islands Harbor), best rockfish fishing memories I had as a kid were on the rocks protruding out creating Hueneme's northern breakwater, and then there was the 34" halibut I reeled out of the Channel Islands harbor as a 9-yo with my lil' trout pole (I was fishing off a dock with frozen macrel), my favorite fish catch to this day.  And seeing all the really big or really cool boats steaming in and outa that harbor at the crack of dawnlight when I was rockfishing at my favorite spot during summer vacation, once was an AC (didn't seem like it was in comission, was being tugged in and there wasn't an aircraft or any deck activity to be seen) and on a half dozen occasions a sub which would pop up from being submerged just before creeping slowly into the port... which is an odd story in itself b/c the Navy swears they've never had either those ships steam into Hueneme since WWII.

Channel Islands Harbor is in the distance, Hueneme's port entrance is up front.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:42:14 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »
Count me in, will be there on Sat - I'll be the ugly guy with the bright red head lol..........

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »
Man, what a neat place to grow up!  I just visited there for the first time this past April and fell in love with it.  Came down to the coast from I-5 through the Los Pedros national forest.  It was like seeing a double rainbow for me :)

Looking forward to going back soon.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
A little update, I flipped through the lists of statics, performers and the schedule.... this will be an absolute hornet (the plane) nest!  FA-18 Superhornet demo, FA-18 Superhornet static display, EA-18G (the newest electronic warfare varient) static display, and a CF-18 static display (the Canadians are coming to visit with one of hteir F-18s it seems, wouldn't of known if I didn't read the static list and see a CF-18 and CT-155 listed on it).

Count me in, will be there on Sat - I'll be the ugly guy with the bright red head lol..........

Wurzel

Rgr that, look for the tallest barrel chested white guy wearing glasses/sunglasses and starting to go bald, lol.  I'll shoot ya a PM later about a meetup spot and time at the show.  Running outa the office now and got a few people to still see and try to make happy before I go to bed tonight.

-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »
Man, what a neat place to grow up!  I just visited there for the first time this past April and fell in love with it.  Came down to the coast from I-5 through the Los Pedros national forest.  It was like seeing a double rainbow for me :)

Looking forward to going back soon.

If ya like the Los Padres national forest then you should get up sometime into the mountains above Santa Barbara and norhtern Ventura, they even got a couple lakes back in there with an almost unoticable drop in how busy the area is with other people, but there is a lot more of said area and scenery to go around.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
Met up with Babalonian, excellent day out (burnt me head again - every time I go to an airshow, I burn me head). Pics to follow once I've uploaded them.

Wurzel

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:47:11 PM »
Crap just read this posting, sorry I missed it goot hooked when I saw the chino air show couple of months ago.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Pics as promised:-

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
Some more:-

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
Last few:-

Thats all folks  ;)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
Was a pleasure meeting up with Wurzel and the Misses.  I got I think ~70 pictures of the static displays to post up on photobucket, I'll post a link to them when I upload them tonight.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »

Pictures from the Airshow statics:

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv115/Babalon84/Pt%20Magu%20NAF%20Airshow%2010/

Couple of my favorites;
So-Cal CAF brought out their Bearcat and their new long-term-guest the P51d Man-O-War:

They even poped open and let me poke around her gun bays on the wings, inside which they had mounted an original loading chart inside of the hatch door.

------
The Canadians who made the ultimate sacrafice of schleping all the way down to visit So-Cal for a long weekend:

------
And a bunch of other great displays and distant performers that made it out there:

------
Saw some nice noseart too:

-Enjoy!
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:21:13 PM »
Some cracking pics there Babalonian, was a real pleasure to put a face to the name. Thanks for spending some time with my wife and I fella, much appreciated.

Hope we can hook up at a later date, or another air show

:salute

Wurzel