Author Topic: So THAT's why lancs hit so hard? Lanc Guns Bug  (Read 776 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
So THAT's why lancs hit so hard? Lanc Guns Bug
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
Was following a set of lancs and noticed something only because I was trying a low attack, film rolling, bobbing up and down. I thought it was easier than it should have been, but turns out pilot was wounded (that might explain it!).

The nose turret was firing backwards, upwards, rearwards, through the plane, slaved to the other guns.

It had no "stops" or, at least, they were very liberal ones. It shot backwards greater than 45-degress downwards, and on another attacker upwards at 45-degrees as well.

I think I might have seen some errant tracers from the nose before but this is the first time I've definitively got it on film.

http://www.nakatomitower.com/lanc_buggy_guns.zip
0.96MB zipped. Unedited (didn't know if that would screw with anything if I clipped or cropped it).

I did a quick and dirty (read: low res) capture via fraps from the film viewer to show it better:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: So THAT's why lancs hit so hard? Lanc Guns Bug
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
Your approach to attacking them should result in you getting hit more often but as to the tracers it could just be an animation thing and not actually hit you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
My approach was due to my position relative to the bombers, lack of time to get another position, etc.

That's beside the point though. On-topic, it COULD be a graphics bug, but I would think the tracers would not be drawn unless the bullet were fired.

Pseudo code being something like:
1) create bullet
2) give bullet path
3) fire bullet
4) show bullet

Unless it's a bug with the TAIL position, and those tracers are associated with the TAIL gun (and it's just firing too many bullets? from other guns?) From past experience it doesn't seem to take away from the ammo count in the nose turret when firing the tail gun or dorsal.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
This came up briefly in a thread a few months ago.  Here was one response:
Not sure if it's a bug or intended but when the gunner on a buff fires it appears as if ALL the guns are firing. So while yes it may appear that the nose guns might be shooting through the fuselage, trust me, they're not. Only the guns that can be brought to bear on you will be actually shooting bullets at you, the rest are just phantom tracers.

If you want to see this for yourself just have a gunner jump on board and watch him move the guns around and fire. You'll see them all move and fire at once.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
I was wondering why after firing a 1-2 second burst into a bombers rear section why I still get slamed while on its dead six.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
I was wondering why after firing a 1-2 second burst into a bombers rear section why I still get slamed while on its dead six.

It might be a graphical glitch but I don't think a gun glitch.  You got slammed because you were sitting on his dead six for at least 1-2 seconds.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Unless they're climbing out or RTB and AFK then it's just funny 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
If the OP is right...he should be able to test this simply by launching a solo Lancaster and flying at low altitude...

Then empty all of the guns except the tail and chin...

Flying at low altitude, then fire the tail guns at the ground or water...

If the hit sprites show two distinct patterns and sources of fire he is right...

If not...its a graphical glitch

Oneway

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »
If the OP is right...he should be able to test this simply by launching a solo Lancaster and flying at low altitude...

Then empty all of the guns except the tail and chin...

Flying at low altitude, then fire the tail guns at the ground or water...

If the hit sprites show two distinct patterns and sources of fire he is right...

If not...its a graphical glitch

Oneway
maybe check ammo spent from the nose gun as well
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
nevermind

Oneway

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:32:07 PM by oneway »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 07:22:58 AM »
but I would think the tracers would not be drawn unless the bullet were fired.

Not necessarily the case. There is a current bug involving the Wirblewind and possibly the Ostwind. If your turret is destroyed, you can depress the trigger and fire phantom tracers. You cannot see it yourself, but everyone around you will see tracers spewing from the turret as if it were firing. I've used it many a time to chase off enemy aircraft as I wait for supplies; cut the engine and they think your engine is out instead.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »
You will always see all guns fire on the bombers when they are shooting at you. It is simply because the checks to see what to fire and what not to fire is to expensive when many bombers are around. The shooter only sees and only shoots the guns capable of shooting and it is his bullets that count.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
Ahh... good point about the gunner's front end... I forgot that's the part that really matters.