Author Topic: FiFi Flies Again  (Read 568 times)

Offline lilsquid

• Copper Member
FiFi Flies Again
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Some of you guys might have heard about FiFi She is the worlds only flying B-29 Superfortress recently she has been grounded by engine troubles and restoration, But she has taken to the skies once again! :rock :x i encourage you to see here at the Commemorative air Force's Annual AIRSHO this october, and OSHKOSH next august But she is flying. Hope yall can make it to see her fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbfop8jflxU

She is flying in this video!
Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking. - William E. Simon

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: FiFi Flies Again
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
At first glace I thought this post would be about +Silat  :devil

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:02:36 PM »
 :aok
mobilis in mobile

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
At first glace I thought this post would be about +Silat  :devil

She's going to beat you when she sees that post.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »
Is that a 190 coming in behind it for the vulch :D

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
Way to go, CAF!   :rock

I swear that I got to look around in a flying B-29 at an airshow back in about 1989, but I wasn't that old then and don't have a good memory of it.  I wonder if it was Fifi?

Here's a great write-up of CAF taking possession of Fifi back in the '70s and then flying away with it cowboy-style from China Lake:
http://www.warmkessel.com/jr/flying/td/jd/56a.jsp

"We had read the part of the flight manual that mentioned magnesium fires in the engines and the likelihood of only having about a minute before the wing burned off. Lacking both an intercom system between the front and rear compartments and a fire warning system I thought prudence dictated devising some sort of procedure to cover this eventuality. After taking another look at the date of repack on everyone's parachutes we divided the leftover nuts and bolts into two coffee cans. I gave one to "Mac" and one to "Lefty" after conducting accuracy tests on who could throw the can farthest and straightest through the bomb bay crawlway tunnel, the only connection between the front and rear of a B-29.

"The objective was that if the back half of the crew saw something really B-A-A-D while performing their duties as engine scanners (necessitating testing the manufacturer's return policy on the freshly packed parachutes) they would throw their can of bolts through the tunnel as hard as possible and then LEAVE! The same procedure would be used by the front end crew. The only difference being that if the back end crew hesitated overly long in leaving after receipt of the can of bolts from the front end, they would abruptly find themselves promoted to in-command status, we would have already left!"

:O  :rofl