Author Topic: Setting up first merge  (Read 1617 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Setting up first merge
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »
klam, what's your ingame id?

The next time our unofficial group of pilots starts a 1v1 free for all in the DA I'll see if you're online. It's a great environment to practice merges against a variety of skill levels. And we can tell (and show) you what did and did not work.

Hey Scotch, I should be back in game in a couple of weeks, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me that same shout if you see me on.  I'm going to need to shake some rust, plus I need to get better in general anyway.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
Klam,

You have been given some great advice and offers, I advise you to take advantage where you can.  Merge drills are something I normally do for long periods of time with my students (they probably get sick of them, but it's for their own good :lol).  There isn't a one size fits all merge scenario, depending on planes, energy states, and conditions, your merge tactic will change a lot.  An hour merging with a trainer or other veteran stick will pay big dividends in a short amount of time.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
Big Rat, I am greatful for the help.  The response to my questions has been great.
I will get a file hosting account so I can post some films. 

I was in the TA earlier, will keep at it and try and get some time with a trainer.
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
........Hawk if you have them id love to see those films

Thx

Mbailey

Bails, I sent you a .rar file of the films.  Is your address still at msn.com?  If not, PM me with an updated address.  Regards.   :salute
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »
Klam,

I'm sure you learned by now the advantage of merging underneath, so do most other pilots.

This is close to Mtnman's merge at the bottom of his post.

What I like to do is just match the dive so the con can't  get to much underneath you. But do let him try. That will usually fix his merge as he thinks he as the advantage.  Let him go for the vertical separation as he does this go for horizontal separation. So it looks like this He is merging underneath you but you are to his left a bit your right. As he pulls into innellman ( heck i can't spell ) you make a combat merge not a flat turn but a 45 degree angle up merge. So as he passes you you turn your lift vector toward him and pull up. Three dimensionally your getting the same advantage you just merged underneath him.  You will be underneath him as you turn make it only as tight as you need to to keep lag pursuit. IF he is low e barrel roll onto his six.
If he tries to go up out of the innellman into a rope you will have enough e to keep up with him and get guns on. Most of the time it will go into a rolling scissors. PM me if you see me on ill help you with it.

Ingame > Sonicblu

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »
Hey Scotch, I should be back in game in a couple of weeks, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me that same shout if you see me on.  I'm going to need to shake some rust, plus I need to get better in general anyway.

You're more than welcome!
-AoM-

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
I will look you up Sonicblu.  Going to the TA/DA later tonight.
Will try and find you guys.  Done a lot of reading and film watching. 

Time to see if I learnt
anything.....................
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Bails, I sent you a .rar file of the films.  Is your address still at msn.com?  If not, PM me with an updated address.  Regards.   :salute

Got'em Hawk, thank you sir, appreciate it. Gonna have a look at them this weekend sir

Thanks again
Mbailey

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.