Author Topic: I want a Salamander!  (Read 683 times)

Offline adam1

• Copper Member
I want a Salamander!
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »

I think that a He 162 Salamander with 2×20 mm MG 151 cannons with 120 rpg (He 162 A-2) OR 2×30 mm MK 108 cannons with 50 rpg (He 162 A-0, A-1) would be nice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_162#Volksj.C3.A4ger
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:15:50 PM by adam1 »
The official Brony Representative of the Aces High BBS Boards

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
Re: I want a Volksjäger!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
Gah. Info. 50% of people who frequent this forum do not know what the VolksJager (Salamander) is.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Void

• Copper Member
Re: I want a Salamander!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Love to see the 162 in aces high.. i don't know if they saw allot of combat
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:36:02 PM by Void »
In Game name: Namco

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
Love to see the 162 in aces high.. i don't know if they saw allot of combat

Not very much action since they were only operational for the last couple of months of the war and they spent a lot of their time moving from base to base to avoid the rapidly advancing Soviet troops and our daylight bombing raids.  They did get some kills but for hardly any gain in return though the majority of the losses stemmed from engine issues and fuel problems (30 minutes of fuel only, few Luftwaffe pilots died trying to dead stick land the He 162).  Supposedly though, it was a good combat aircraft, at least to one RAF pilot that did extensive flight evaluations on the He 162 after the war but very light controls that made it a plane for experienced pilots only.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Void

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »
Not very much action since they were only operational for the last couple of months of the war and they spent a lot of their time moving from base to base to avoid the rapidly advancing Soviet troops and our daylight bombing raids.  They did get some kills but for hardly any gain in return though the majority of the losses stemmed from engine issues and fuel problems (30 minutes of fuel only, few Luftwaffe pilots died trying to dead stick land the He 162).  Supposedly though, it was a good combat aircraft, at least to one RAF pilot that did extensive flight evaluations on the He 162 after the war but very light controls that made it a plane for experienced pilots only.

ack-ack

Thanks for the info. Never knew they really had any kills. I saw this other thread that said so along time ago. Just knew it had good handling and some of the variants that flew.
In Game name: Namco

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »
Supposedly though, it was a good combat aircraft, at least to one RAF pilot that did extensive flight evaluations on the He 162 after the war but very light controls that made it a plane for experienced pilots only.
That's interesting, Galland said it was one of the biggest mistakes that the Luftwaffe made that late in the war. This was after he had dealt with the whole Me 262 cluster.

Here's what he had to say on it:

'On September 23, 1944, at the headquarters near Rastenburg on the decisive discussion on the Volksjäger was held. From previous discussions I had hoped that the majority of the participants would support me in my rejection. But in my demand to supplant the He 162 with the Me 262 I remained alone except for the Chief of the General Staff. My suggestion was to increase mass production of the Me 262 by having it built under license by all aircraft factories that were not working to capacity, and further to use all these planes only for the air defense of the Reich. This earned me a sharp rebuke from Göring which ran something like this: "This is unheard of! Now the General of the Fighter Arm refuses a jet fighter plane which the armament production is offering him by the thousands within a few months!" Hitler, who had obviously detailed someone to report to him, was fully informed about the course of discussions within the Reichsmarshal and within an hour he demanded from me a written statement of the motives for my rejection of the Volksjäger. This was an additional reason for mz being replaced as General of the Fighter Arm.
   But the plan was put through and preparations were made for mass production. It was planned to use boz pilots after a hurried training on gliders, while production and service were to be assisted and controlled bz the Gauleiters. The Volksjäger was to represent a sort of levee en masse in the air. Inclredibly schedules were fixed, astronomical production figures were planned. Göring himself became a victim of the national frenzy with which the planning of the Volksjäger had infested almost everyone connected with air defense. "Hundreds! Thousands! Umpteen thousands!" he cried. "Until the enemy has been chased back beyond the borders of Germany!"
   This project had one advantage: It was technically quite impossible to hang a bomb under the tiny aircraft and to declare it a Blitzbomber. Compared with the Me 262, the He 162 meant a considerable step backward in every way.
   The construction was completed in two and a half months, the mass production was ready to start on a grand scale as the prototypes were ready. In the history of aircraft design and construction this must have been a singular feat. On December 6, 1944, the He 162 flew for the first time. A few days later- far too soon- it was displayed to a large circle of interested experts at Vienna-Schwechat. Before the eyes of the spectators the test pilot Peter yanked the insufficiently tested plane too strongly in an attempt to loop. The aircraft started to disintegrate in the air, beginning with the right wing. Peter was killed.
In March, 1945, the planes of the first series were ready. Until the end of the war about 200 were produced. The Question whether the Volksjäger could still have played a successful part in air defense was left in abyance. The details of construction and a considerable number of half-finished planes fell into the hands of the Russians, and a few finished aircraft were seized by the Western Allies."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:14:00 PM by Motherland »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
That's interesting, Galland said it was one of the biggest mistakes that the Luftwaffe made that late in the war. This was after he had dealt with the whole Me 262 cluster.

That is interesting.  Eric Brown was the Royal Navy pilot that had flown it in test evaluations after the war and is the one that considered it a deligh to fly and after testing was done, he continued to fly the He 162 for recreation.  His experiences are detailed in his book, Wings of the Luftwaffe (ISBN 978-1853104138).

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »

I think that a He 162 Salamander with 2×20 mm MG 151 cannons with 120 rpg (He 162 A-2) OR 2×30 mm MK 108 cannons with 50 rpg (He 162 A-0, A-1) would be nice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_162#Volksj.C3.A4ger

Isn't that the AC that is coming out of retirement and will be put into action for Iran?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:12:41 AM »
I thought you were talking a about this guy

"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s