Author Topic: Suggestion for the Arena switch...  (Read 873 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Suggestion for the Arena switch...
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »
Instead of having both arenas close, why not just have the  least populated one close during off hours. Then, when the war is won, the map switches to a smaller map.
Also, local eny could ease some of the hoard issues.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:53:02 AM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
Re: Suggestion for the Arena switch...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:49:31 AM »
And put in a map vote feature so we can vote to over ride the mandatory switchout if there is a raging 3 way furball.

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:26:41 AM »
Instead of having both arenas close, why not just have the  least populated one close during off hours.

And what happens when offpeak ends and LWO and LWB start up? You sure can't still just keep it up as LWB, because then the whole reset thing doesn't work anymore. So you're starting to rotate the terrains through LWB, which would be fine for me personally - but the continuity is largely broken with even less chance to win the war (which is a bog incentve for many players.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
ok, here an amendments to the proposed system I have been brainstorming......
1)To allow for the war to be won in a realistic amount of time, have small maps.
2) When the total number of players passes a FIXED threshold and a certain clock time is passed, a new arena opens and new players go there.
3) When the total number of players falls bellow a FIXED threshold, and a certain time has passed, the less populated arena closes. The state of this arena could be saved for when it gets opened again due to demand. The close doesn't need to be sudden, it could just be that no new people can log in, and it closes when the total number of people falls below yet another, lower fixed threshold.

A whole new dimension of the game could be added, not just win the war, but win the war before 'time' runs out. This would be silly with todays huge maps, but with smaller maps, this could be done.If two small maps isn't enough for the player base there could be 3rd or 4th or X.. depending on the total number of people playing. Combine this with a local eny system, and you could have combat spread across the entire map, instead of just one huge furbal in one area.

Snailman, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears..errr eyes..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:01:52 AM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:01 AM »
2) When the total number of players passes a FIXED threshold and a certain clock time is passed, a new arena opens and new players go there.

This is leading exactly the same problem we had before: One arena with 200 players (or whatever you fixed number is), and one arena with 10 players. And the past has shown it will not fill up rapidily - It can take hours for getting up to numbers and action. This is exactly why I had this weir on/offpeak arena idea, to keep the "downtimes" as low as possible.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:31:59 AM »
ok, here an amendments to the proposed system I have been brainstorming......
1)To allow for the war to be won in a realistic amount of time, have small maps.
3) When the total number of players falls bellow a FIXED threshold, and a certain time has passed, the less populated arena closes. The state of this arena could be saved for when it gets opened again due to demand. The close doesn't need to be sudden, it could just be that no new people can log in, and it closes when the total number of people falls below yet another, lower fixed threshold.

A whole new dimension of the game could be added, not just win the war, but win the war before 'time' runs out. This would be silly with todays huge maps, but with smaller maps, this could be done.If two small maps isn't enough for the player base there could be 3rd or 4th or X.. depending on the total number of people playing. Combine this with a local eny system, and you could have combat spread across the entire map, instead of just one huge furbal in one area.

Snailman, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears..errr eyes..

1-You do realize that WWII lasted from 1939-1945 right? 6 years seems like a long time to be stuck with one map  ;)

2&3 -Not bad ideas if we are going to have 2 arenas. A better one would be just to go back to one map. The need for two capped split arenas just isnt there anymore. And from my own observations seems to have been more detrimental then beneficial.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:35:29 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »

This is leading exactly the same problem we had before: One arena with 200 players (or whatever you fixed number is), and one arena with 10 players. And the past has shown it will not fill up rapidily - It can take hours for getting up to numbers and action. This is exactly why I had this weir on/offpeak arena idea, to keep the "downtimes" as low as possible.

Your right.... its a challenge, how to preserve continuity while addressing both issues.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

You'll shoot your eye kid!

I like the idea Ardy, that would also mean half the populus on at the switch. Wouldn't have to go through the switch downtime<yawn>.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
Beat me to it!!!   :cheers:

You'll shoot your eye kid!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.