Author Topic: Not about your score  (Read 1316 times)

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
Re: Not about your score
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »
I'm sure many of us have read about this story before, and it is a good one.  However, what Kazaa said struck me.  What if the situation were reversed?  What if some Spitfire or Hurricane pilot had allowed a severely damaged He-111 to lumber back to France after bombing an English city?  Stigler seems to have received a lot of praise for his action.  What would we think of an RAF pilot who did the same?

I can't honestly say I would reach the same conclusion in each case (whether it's praise or condemnation), but I feel like I ought to.

Spit pilots who ran out of 303s trying to bring down Stukas and the like were known to salute the German pilots and veer off back home. The German I read about viewed it as an act of Chivalry that would never happen on the Eastern Front.
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »
I'm sure many of us have read about this story before, and it is a good one.  However, what Kazaa said struck me.  What if the situation were reversed?  What if some Spitfire or Hurricane pilot had allowed a severely damaged He-111 to lumber back to France after bombing an English city?  Stigler seems to have received a lot of praise for his action.  What would we think of an RAF pilot who did the same?

I can't honestly say I would reach the same conclusion in each case (whether it's praise or condemnation), but I feel like I ought to.

My impression is Stigler didn't comment on the event during the war.  I'm sure he would have recieved criticism for allowing a crew to survive that could come back and bomb Germany the next day,

The situation was unique in that Stigler had time to think about it.  He wasn't getting shot at.  The 17 was barely in the air with obvious damage. Who knows what both Stigler and the bomber crew had experienced prior to their encounter that day.  It could be in that moment there was a mutual recogniton that there had been enough death and destruction that day and at that point all that mattered was surviving for both the 109 pilot and the B17 crew,  We're not talking criminals here or sociopaths.  These are average men being asked to do things that no one should have to do. 

It's their own christmas truce such as was done in WW1.  This is silly, we're more alike then different, why are we killing each other.  Of course the powers that be have a greater interest in continuing the conflict and discourage this kind of rational thinking.

not something to be promoted by those who believe in war of course
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 03:46:13 AM »
It's their own christmas truce such as was done in WW1.  This is silly, we're more alike then different, why are we killing each other.  Of course the powers that be have a greater interest in continuing the conflict and discourage this kind of rational thinking.

not something to be promoted by those who believe in war of course
This is true. I'm sure there were many more stories like this during the war that did not get documented. Watching people die, friend or foe does impose a severe phsycological effect on the mind of what the human race has come to for all this to happen. What I think is that its sad that any government would never leak these stories out in fear that their country would often sympathize with the enemy and second guess the reason for war in the first place. Stories like this must of gave alot of guys like Brown hope that the human race hasn't gone to sh**.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 05:25:16 AM »
Back in the Day when Chivalry was king  :aok Its not always about your score.  ;)

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/463195122/m/8100064322001

LTARogue

read this, its the original posting from snopes, that was quoted in the posting.  hate it when people embellish a good story and make it almost a lie.

http://www.snopes.com/military/charliebrown.asp

semp
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:31:36 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.