Author Topic: Normal and Spec Maps  (Read 687 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Normal and Spec Maps
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
A thread on the Skinner forum about rivets and panels got me thinking, once again, I'd LOVE to see Normal and Specular maps added to aircraft for skinners to play with. The things that could be done with those additional maps would blow away anything possible now.

The image above is JUST done by converting the shadows and highlights used on my own F4U template. It would need some cleaning up, but it already FAR exceeds the impression of depth I achieved with the full skin itself.

Another example showing a model I did for DragonAge: Origins that is fully Normal and Spec mapped. In fact, with the exception of the basic geometry, ALL the raised and sunken detailing on the sword hilt are the result of Normal maps. Specular maps would also allow varying degrees of shininess to be applied, giving much more depth than the simple material file present in the game currently does. Bare metal Mustangs could have highly polished and reflective airframes, while still having matte anti-glare panels and exhaust staining (as opposed to the material files we have now, where the specularity is uniform across the entire model).

This could easily be a setting that can be turned off/on under the clipboard so players with low-end systems don't take a hit from it.

Of all the atmospheric improvements being made in the game, this would represent a MAJOR leap forward in the look of the game, while still being easily accessible to those community members responsible for our custom content.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: Normal and Spec Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
I'd like to take all the +1's I can give, and put them towards this wish.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »
Incidentally, here's the same sword-hilt as seen in the game WITHOUT the Normal mapping in play (Spec map is still there):

Although the lighting is different, you should still be able to see how much of a difference it makes.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
those are superb Sax... <S>

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
Please, for the love of god, yes!!!

+10000

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:41 AM »
Does anyone play this game to fight other players anymore in an environment simulator or are you making the mistake of thinking Aces High should become a WoW eyeball teaser sibling with wings?

The human brain is designed to tune down all the eye candy during fight mode to give you the highest possibility of survival if you can utillise the freed up resources. Some humans even see only in grey, black and white during combat. When your kester is being shot at, eyecandy is not capable of being registered by your concious brain. Nor when you are doing the shooting. You can test this by simply driving your car to the store then trying to jot down detailed descriptions of all the flowers and trees you passed on the way. You might get the ones in your own driveway right because you live there. The rest are tuned out by your brain doing its best to help you survive driving your car.

If you spend more time fighting you won't be aware of the scenary. Great scenary won't make you an Uber fighter pilot.

HiTech please give us back 16 color arenas with blue skys and water, green ground, yellow sun and brown mountains..... We did alot more fighting back then and less whining for eyecandy.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:55 AM »
was thinking the same thing bustr.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
::rant::

It's one thing if gameplay is being sacrificed in favor of eye candy. It's something else entirely to add eye candy to a game where the gameplay is solid.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »
It's one thing if gameplay is being sacrificed in favor of eye candy. It's something else entirely to add eye candy to a game where the gameplay is solid.

And really, what performace hit (if any) would a more detailed skin-map create? 

Since the "in combat your brain doesn't see much detail" has been brought up...  I believe it's not just me that spends more time in transit than in an actual fight and appreciate the details available in the environment (terrain, models, skins, etc.).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »
Really?!  This wasn't even a whine!

This is what the wishlist is for.  I don't think he could have presented his case in a more detailed and non-whining fashion.

You can go back to your 16-bit arenas, I'm staying here, where things progress.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »
Really?!  This wasn't even a whine!

This is what the wishlist is for.  I don't think he could have presented his case in a more detailed and non-whining fashion.

You can go back to your 16-bit arenas, I'm staying here, where things progress.

I think some people just like to pooh pooh an idea because they get their jollies putting them down for no good reason.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
I'm sorry, but Eye candy is always good.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!