Author Topic: Interesting WW II Aviation Statistics  (Read 801 times)

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
Re: Interesting WW II Aviation Statistics
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
i stand corrected. The war years your numbers are right. 35,000 109's were made from 35 onward

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
What is so far for we moderns to appreciate is just how much WW2 depended on attrition. Think about these numbers - hundreds of thousands of aircraft produced, tens of thousands lost.

The winners were simply the ones who lasted longest. This kind of bloodshed is inconceivable for most 21st century westerners, who are shocked at the idea that 2000 people died in the World Trade Center.

On the other hand, world war two averaged almost 11,000 MILITARY DEATHS ONLY, every day, day after day, for 6 years straight.

Chew on that
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
1 number don't add up. Everything i have read on the subject says the 109 is the most massively produced fighter in history with over 35,000 made. You state 30,000. Now are only counting how many saw combat or were shot down? I will have to read up on the others but i'm farely sure there were more 109s then yaks or il2's

Changeup is not stating the numbers, so let's not challenge him to justify them. He cited the source of the information.  :aok