Author Topic: fire for belly landings  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: fire for belly landings
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
The incident in "Terror in the Starboard Seat" where a Mosquito crew burned to death after a belly landing would, in AH world, have been a successful landing or a ditch on the base.  As soon as it came to a stop, on fire, they simply would have done a .ef and ended the flight.

The fire on landing would have had no effect in AH world.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
Not denying no fires ever happened in WW2. Fully loaded bombers would often burst into flames upon crashing.

However, there's a difference between CRASHING and "sliding on the belly to land" -- and the two are not the same.

It's already modeled if you land too hard you pop. It's already modeled that you have to be so soft and so slow in order to touch down without your gear. It's not like you can do ANYTHING and belly land. Only thing this does is force players to play the way the guy requesting it wants. Same as the "no vulching" thread.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »
Real fire effects could be simulated by random keystrokes anytime radio buffer is open.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
It's already modeled if you land too hard you pop. It's already modeled that you have to be so soft and so slow in order to touch down without your gear. It's not like you can do ANYTHING and belly land. Only thing this does is force players to play the way the guy requesting it wants. Same as the "no vulching" thread.

Belly landing is easier to do than gear landing.  The only purpose to land with your gear in aces high is if you want to rearm.  In any other application belly landing is the most logical way to land.  Maybe more fires is not the solution, but that should not be the way it should be.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
Belly landing is easier to do than gear landing.  The only purpose to land with your gear in aces high is if you want to rearm.  In any other application belly landing is the most logical way to land.  Maybe more fires is not the solution, but that should not be the way it should be.

Grizz I do agree that belly landing a perfectly good aircraft is pretty cheesy, however, I really don't see where we need to force people to land with their gear down. In AH we have unlimited aircraft so long as the hangers are up so banging up perfectly good aircraft has no affect on anything.

This wish goes back to the old "bombers should fly at reduced power" wishes. It's a wish to force an arbitrary way of gameplay that serves no real purpose. If a person wants to belly land they should be able to belly land, that's it.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
With that I disagree Beef.

There's giving folks what was available in real life.... then there's arbitrary....

THIS would be arbitrary. P.S. Grizz you're the only one saying nobody has any reason to land with gear down. 99% of the folks I see landing use gear in this game. It's popular for a big reason: folks want to do it, like to do it.

There's nothing stopping you from bailing the second you get a kill and reupping a fresh fully loaded plane. I don't see any rules/regulations being suggested to prevent this catastrophe that's RUINING the gameplay!!! </sarcasm>

It's only a problem to 1 or 2 folks, and they're alone on the matter. Doesn't affect them, doesn't affect us, doesn't affect anybody either way you model it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
With that I disagree Beef.

There's giving folks what was available in real life.... then there's arbitrary....

THIS would be arbitrary. P.S. Grizz you're the only one saying nobody has any reason to land with gear down. 99% of the folks I see landing use gear in this game. It's popular for a big reason: folks want to do it, like to do it.

There's nothing stopping you from bailing the second you get a kill and reupping a fresh fully loaded plane. I don't see any rules/regulations being suggested to prevent this catastrophe that's RUINING the gameplay!!! </sarcasm>

It's only a problem to 1 or 2 folks, and they're alone on the matter. Doesn't affect them, doesn't affect us, doesn't affect anybody either way you model it.

Okay I agree.  I will continue to land boatloads of kills and tear both wings off on landing to slow myself down to a screeching halt moments before the bad guys can kill me.   :aok

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
Okay I agree.  I will continue to land boatloads of kills and tear both wings off on landing to slow myself down to a screeching halt moments before the bad guys can kill me.   :aok

See? If people would just be clear in the beginning things would be so much simpler.

Wish:Catch fire and explode when belly landing so you can't screech to a stop moments before getting vulched and "land".

:huh

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »
So it's about score, not about actual "realism"? See, figured as much!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
See? If people would just be clear in the beginning things would be so much simpler.

Wish:Catch fire and explode when belly landing so you can't screech to a stop moments before getting vulched and "land".

:huh

wrongway
So it's about score, not about actual "realism"? See, figured as much!

You must not have picked up on the tongue in cheek.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »
Right back at ya...  :lol

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=552_1297792559

Good video of a yak belly landing.....no fire.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
I watched someone belly-land, catch on fire and explode before he stopped skidding.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 03:59:25 AM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=552_1297792559

Good video of a yak belly landing.....no fire.

LOL  thanks for that. And could you now explain the sense of urgency when he flew from the cockpit?   Hiding from the aviation officials no doubt!
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod