Author Topic: WWII Pictures from the Russian Front  (Read 523 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: WWII Pictures from the Russian Front
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I don't know much about Soviet WWII small arms.... what are these long rifles? From another pic they do not appear to be heavy machine guns, and they're being shouldered so they can't be too heavy......
yea. look like longer barreled versions of the ptrs-41.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
Great-Grandaddy's of the SKS...

PTRS and SVT-40 all used a similar tilting bolt and gas piston system, the SKS was just the condensed version of these rifles.

BTW, not everyone in that pic is carrying a PTRS... Some are carrying Mosin-Nagant 91/30s. I think they had two man teams to operate the rifle.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:28:47 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
The pic of the tank going over the trench with the soldiers hunkering down beneath it is awesome.  I cant imagine the nerves they must have had.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
Pictures like this have completely changed since I've reached 'fighting age'... He looks like he's younger than I am.

I saw on the news the other day some video of kids training to fight Qaddafi... it's even more intense when they're not in uniform.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Pictures like this have completely changed since I've reached 'fighting age'... He looks like he's younger than I am.

(Image removed from quote.)

I saw on the news the other day some video of kids training to fight Qaddafi... it's even more intense when they're not in uniform.

I had mentioned how young he looked as well.
Crazy stuff.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech