Author Topic: apology  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: apology
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »

I only fly P-38s. I've been in love with them since I was a kid in Burbank. My parents met in 1943 on the P-38 assembly line at Lockheed.

Oh gee...another one of those P-38 drivers.  :rolleyes:

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
I only fly P-38s.

Welcome to the game, but why limit yourself like that?  I know people have their favorites, but I really don't get how some people only fly one plane.  :headscratch:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
Welcome to the game, but why limit yourself like that?  I know people have their favorites, but I really don't get how some people only fly one plane.  :headscratch:

I don't understand why people think that you need to fly more than one plane to have any fun or somehow limit yourself by flying one plane exclusively.  The notion that you need to fly every plane in the planeset to improve ones skill is rather funny.

ack-ack 

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
It has nothing to do with skill.  You have 100 toys in the box but only play with one.  Seems boring to me.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
It has nothing to do with skill.  You have 100 toys in the box but only play with one.  Seems boring to me.

It may be to you but to me, flying any other plane than the P-38 is boring.  No plane offers me the challenge that I get from flying the Lighting, nor does any plane come close to what my affection is for the Lightning.  It's nice to see another dedicated Lightning driver like Lab Rat flying.

ack-ack

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
Different strokes for different folks I guess.......I couldn't imagine playing such a diverse game as AH and limiting myself to just one ride.  I love the whole history of WW2 and this game is a great way to experience so many different vehicles/aircraft virtually.  I do have my favorites (P39s for some stupid reason), most of us do have our favs.

To keep things interesting I try to concentrate on at least one different type per tour.  Right now I'm reading a book about the 212 Marine Fighter Squadron flying F4Fs out of Henderson Field Guadalcanal (Fighter Squadron Guadalcanal by Max Brand) during the battle to secure Australia.  As such Ive been flying the F4F livened in the 212th skin.  Its a neat bird.  Great once you get above the red dots and can build up a real nice head of steam.  She stays controllable even past 400 IAS and the six .50s tear it up.  The 212th and the F4Fs did very well against the Japanese while under the command of Lt. Col. Bauer.

http://www.acepilots.com/usmc_bauer.html
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
Welcome to the game Butch.

Woot another 38 driver. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
Welcome to AH!  All the data during any given flight can just overwhelm someone.  Good way to make friends is to use that apostrophe key to ck you're countrymen's sixes.  If you see me up, say howdy. 

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
In 1943 my parents met on the P-38 assembly line. My dad worked on the front landing gear and my mother worked on the gun compartment above him. She would drop things on or near him so that he would have to hand them back up to her. That was how she started flirting with him. They would get married after the war.

Growing up in Burbank, in the 50’s, I can remember my parents and their friends occasionally talking about the war, rationing, working at Lockheed, and the Lightning.

Back then; ‘war’ was our one of our favorite games. We would take our allowances and go to the Army-Navy store and buy web gear, helmet liners, first aid kits, insignia, etc. And then with our toy guns we’d fight the kids from the other blocks.

When I was 9, I told my parents that when I grew up I wanted to fly a P-38 like the ones they made at Lockheed. But I was told I wouldn’t be able to. They didn’t make them anymore.

Now, 55 years later, thanks to Hitech and all his crew, I get to live that childhood dream.

I fly the L with rockets. Never know when a little jabo work might be necessary, I enjoy blowing things up. The J & G strictly air-to-air.

I know the toy box has a lot of choices. But didn’t all of us have that one favorite toy? I know I did.  :old:

Mine is the Lightnings.

Thanks for all the replies. See you out there.

LtngRydr
Knights
Butch Ryder     :salute
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
Great story Butch <S>

Fly what you want and enjoy the heck out of!!!

There's a lot of great 38 sticks that will be happy to show you how to take every advantage that platform offers.

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
Zoney, you are wrong.  Aces High is a lovely mix of Cigarettes, Cocaine and Alcohol in one. :t

Well LtngRydr...  There is no escape, no end.  You soul now officially belongs to Aces High. :devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
It may be to you but to me, flying any other plane than the P-38 is boring.  No plane offers me the challenge that I get from flying the Lighting, nor does any plane come close to what my affection is for the Lightning.  It's nice to see another dedicated Lightning driver like Lab Rat flying.

ack-ack

i agree with ack-ack here cept I prefer a different plane is all  :salute
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
welcome butch
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART